Forum OpenACS Q&A: Number of OpenACS downloads on openacs.org

I took the liberty to remove the count of number of downloads of OpenACS from the openacs.org site, because it made us look stupid. 3088 downloads by 6774 people = .45 download per user.

It seems like most people get their sources another way, which is fine, but makes the number misleading.

I considered showing the number of forums posting or something similar -- it would be nice to have some good statistics up there -- but gave up for now because I don't have time.

Btw, there were 904 forums postings in the last 30 days. Doesn't say much, though.

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Randy O'Meara on
The number of OACS installations in the wild might be a meaningful metric. Maybe a one time message back to openacs.org when it's installed? Of course the installer would be able to decline...
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
We've talked about that a number of times in the past, and there's general agreement that this is a good idea.

Any volunteers?

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Randy O'Meara on
This looks like a two-way conversation between you and I, Lars. This isn't the direction I'm heading right now. But, maybe later if it hasn't already been done.

Randy

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
No, it's not :). My suggestion. After adding the personal information in the installation process, show a page which asks (with checkboxes enabled (opt-out)):
  • May we inform OpenACS about your installation (if yes, httpget a page which increases the number of installations on openacs.org).
  • May we deliver additional information (if yes, send the information and below to openacs.org and keep it in a database)
    • What kind of server is this (development, staging, production)
    • Have you made or are you planning to make custom development on this server?
    • Display of the following parameters: URL, Maintainer, Version of OpenACS, Database, whatever else you might find useful for statistics.
At openacs.org you'd just have to write the import scripts, one for increasing the counter (easy) and one for storing the delivered data in the database and write an ad_tableized page for displaying it :).
Collapse
Posted by Brad Ford on
And don't forget a flag for re-installs...