Forum OpenACS Q&A: ecommerce module & qmail ... still a requirement?

I have a client that is looking to deploy the OpenACS Ecommerce module, and has asked me to look into one of the ecommerce's apparent requirements: qmail

Now, I seached the forum, and found only two *very* old threads talking about OpenACSs dependency on qmail, but doing a grep -r on the ecommerce module only shows (unless I'm missing something) one 'proc qmail' that just seems to call ns_sendmail, that is called from:

./tcl/ecommerce-email-procs.tcl

ad_proc qmail {to from subject body {extraheaders {}}} {
    procedure for sending mail by directly injecting it into the qmail system.

@author jsc
    @creation-date 1999-01-15
} {
    ns_sendmail $to $from $subject $body $extraheaders
}

now, the fact that his current sites are working fine, and we have no qmail installations on any of our servers, I'm guessing that the qmail requirement(s) have been removed, but docs haven't been changed to reflect ... ?  in fact, in all of the openacs-4-6 hierarchy, I find only one place where qmail-inject is even called:

./packages/webmail/java/MessageComposer.sqlj:  Process qmailProcess = Runtime.getRuntime().exec("/var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject -h -f " + fromName);

So ... will this work with postfix, as it appears, or am I missing something?

Thanks ...

Marc,

the dependency of ecommerce on qmail has indeed been removed. With a minimum amount of work I might add. Which explains why the proc qmail still exists. ;)

/Bart

Grr. I don't use Ecommerce so it doesn't affect me, but the code above looks like an example of the wrong way to fix things. Yes, defaulting to using ns_sendmail is probably best, because it will work anywhere AOLserver will, but there's presumably a reason that the qmail specific code was in there in the first place: ns_sendmail is unacceptably slow when sending very large quantities of email. Whoever switched the code to ns_sendmail could have at least left the existing qmail support in there but commented out.
Andrew,

don't you think that those users who switch to a faster MTA than ns_sendmail have enough know how to replace ns_sendmail with the MTA of their choice? Whether that be qmail, postfix, courier or another one of the multitude of MTAs.

I prefer to keep the code clean and free from legacy snippets that are commented out. Especially when the commented code only pertains to one of many possible implementations.

However, for those who would like to keep using qmail, the patch is in http://cvs.openacs.org/cvs/openacs-4/packages/ecommerce/tcl/qmail-procs.tcl.diff?r1=1.3&r2=1.3.2.1&f=h

/Bart