Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: TIP #10 (Proposed): Automation of Installation Process

Collapse
Posted by Frank N. on
This is something I have considered making in the past, but didn't work on in earnest as I'm not the world's greatest bash hacker. 😊

There are several reasons why we might need the flexibility of bash over a Linux dist format like RPMs or Debs, like being able to support different architectures (FreeBSD, OS X). We would need to pass a large number of parameters to the install process, which could be through a single, global and well commented config file. Then there are source modifications (OpenFTS doesn't even compile 'out-of-the-box' on FreeBSD), PG tuning (BLCKSZ, shared memory segment size, kernel limits, --enable-locale --enable-multibyte), format and location of startup scripts etc. Loads of fun! 😉

The current install docs are somewhat Linux centric, and a UNIX newcomer would face a few rough spots if trying to install OpenACS on, say, FreeBSD by following them. Personally I have adopted the habit of keeping a large file of shell command snippets around, for when I want to repeat a particular operation again, but a set of well tuned install scripts would certainly be welcome.

If someone champions the project and shows how it should be done, then I would like to help by modifying, testing and maintaining the FreeBSD/PG parts of the install system, if multiple architechtures will be supported. Note that an architecture may also be a Linux distro, like redhat or debian.

> There are several reasons why we might need the flexibility of bash

If you are considering *BSD, etc. then the script should rather be plain sh, without bash' bells and whistles. Otherwise you'd end up with an install dependency of shells/bash...

I would, however, second the "don't make it sooo Linux (especially .rpm) centric".

BTW, what were the problems with OpenFTS when you tried it, Frank? It's been at least six month since I've installed it on one of my machines, and I can't really remember of any issues (other than you have tinker with Pg).

I do not personally understand anything about all the things you are writing about but, as Frank Nikolajsen wrote: "...I'm not the world's greatest bash hacker.", I just wanted to inform that there is a recently updated Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide online.
Sorry for disturbing, in case such a hint is too basic for you.