Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: TIP #10 (Proposed): Automation of Installation Process

Hey Roberto,

I actually don't really mind that much about how we should do it, but I think that it should be integrated with the next release...

If I were a complete newbie and just wanted to *quickly* install everything and see how it is running, I would like to have one single button to push and everything would install automatically. This could maybe be accompanied with some kind of uninstall script.

I just installed a fresh RH8.0 server and spent around a day to get everything up and running. I followed the 4.6.3 installation docs and used some qmail daemontool stuff from HEAD, because qmail wouldn't work properly.

Next time I do all this, I would like to hit this magic button and everything would be set up the exact same way without having to worry about having skipped some lines from the docs.

If there is a better way than on huge sh script, I will go for that... But I would also like to be able to set up sites with a different character set than English, which requires unicode for PG. IMO this isn't covered by PG rpms... Frank also mentioned the flexibility aspect of an sh script in his post.

Cheers