Forum OpenACS Q&A: Photo-album, improvements to the contrib version

I've just read that the photo-album is being upgraded to the contrib version. I have a few feature requests/ideas for the album to make it even better -- I really don't know if it's practical to roll them into 5.0, but at least for 5.1, I'll be able to do them...
  • Rotate photos (ImageMagick's installed anyway, so why not use it for more than just scaling?)
  • Selecting which photos can be chosen at random (setting photos to Featured -- and possibly having both options implemented by adding an optional "only_select_from_featured_photos" parameter to the random script).
    I use this feature intensively on refresh.dk and my impression is that others having random photos on their personal OpenACS pages (such as Lars) do this as well.
  • Enabling comment on both albums and photos (just adding comment support and the two parameters enable_album_comments_p and enable_photo_comments_p to the package).
Also, now that we're able to upload multiple photos why not enabling downloads of album − I have a dirty version of this running, but it could be smoothified for 5.1? See this weblog entry and this album.

Oh yeah, as long as I'm raving about the featured_p functionality, being able to send a max_number (defaulting to 1) to the random script and sending this onto the SQL query as the limit parameter may be an idea. The photo-random.adp would simply use a <multiple> tag and you'd be able to show more than one random photo at a time 😊.

Again, have a peek at refresh.dk.

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
You can rotate imnages in the bulk edit screen (the four radio buttons around the thumbnail -- tick the one where you want the top of the photo). I guess it should be on the single image view as well.

The other ideas sound like good ones.

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Now that we're working on DAV and OACS integration, being able to upload/download photos via DAV could be a killer app, too.

talli

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Oh, geez, I'm going to have to rewrite my personal photo site to use OpenACS ... which means I won't have any time left over to work on the project.  Oops!  Bye, folks! :)

(I'm just kidding - unfortunately!)

Collapse
Posted by Jarkko Laine on
Steffen,

The maxnumber thing is certainly a good idea. It might need a bit of extra thought, though, since showing more than one photo at a time would require some layout tweaking. Some might want the pictures side by side, others beneath each other... Now when we only show one picture, we don't have to think about it since we only return the photo and the link surrounding it.

Collapse
Posted by Jarkko Laine on
Talli,

Absolutely. I read your announcement and that you're going to implement it using file-storage. Isn't most of the WebDAV functionality going to be in content repository, thus making integrating DAV with a package using CR a twist?

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Jarko, yes, DAV will be integrated with the CR. From what DaveB said, it should be very easy to make photo-album DAV-enabled.

talli