Forum OpenACS Q&A: New package available: resource list

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
For Stop Abuse For Everyone (http://www.safe4all.org) I created a collaborative resource list, in which any registered user can suggest items, and an administrator approves them. Registered users can also add comments to the resource list.

See it in action at:

http://www.safe4all.org/resource-list/

I wrote it very quickly, so it's somewhat hacked out, but it does use the content repository, and ad_form (partly).

If anybody thinks this is useful, I can put it in /contrib  , especially if you'd like to improve the code 😊

Collapse
Posted by bill kellerman on
Please do.  This would be very useful for library websites where electronic resource management is pretty common, and would be a great starting point.
Collapse
Posted by Alfred Werner on
Looks straightforward and useful - please add..
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Okay, I finally got around to adding the resource-list package to /contrib.

Cons:

It's Postgres only, and is pretty barebones. There is no admin UI for editing categories, for example. You can add them but not edit them.

Pros:

Uses the content repository, so you keep track of all revisions.
Works.

You can see a demo at http://www.safe4all.org/resource-list

Can someone add this to bug-tracker, and add me as the default person to get bugs for it?

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Hi Jade,

A couple questions,

Do resources have to be approved before they are visible?

Can you have a two level hierarchy?

Are they searchable?

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Yes, they have to be approved before they are visible.

The categorization is pretty lame. Ideally, it would be rewritten with the categorization package (but that's 5.0, and I was on 4.6.3).

Search integration has not been added in. But Goggle seems to like the package a lot. I've gotten a lot of Google traffic on these pages since I set it up. :)

Reminder: I threw this package together, so it's a start, but it's still rough and dirty. I did the absolute minimum amount necessary to get it working as shown at http://www.safe4all.org  The only thing that's unnecessary, I guess, but nice to have is that it does use the content repository.

Collapse
Thats cool Jade.

While I'm making a wish list.

Categories Integration
Search
Clickthrough integration
Easy UI for the admin to periodically check that all the URLs are still good or perhaps run that weekly and send the admin an email with any failures.
Comments from the submitter to the approver when they submit a link (so they can say why they think it should be approved).
Notifications when a new link is submitted.

I'm actually going to pitch writing this to a client but I'm not expecting to get this approved so I thought I'd document my thoughts here.

Collapse
Posted by Chris Davies on
Not to step on any toes, but, the package that I am in the process of turning live next week -- and will submit to the community, is very similar.

Due to a number of reasons, my package has a few additional fields in the backend which I probably won't include because they are very specific to a particular project, but will release most of the general things publically.

Some of the features are:

submission form, RSS feed of the 10 newest links or last 15 days, New Links for last 15 days, Top 10 Rated Links, Top 10 links that have been hit.

It keeps track of ratings (with a little anti-cheating protection), keeps track of outclicks, orders links based on priority so that you could change the priority of links you wanted to appear higher in the list overriding alphabetic order.

Links must be approved and there is an Approve, Approve with Email notification, Decline, Decline with Email notification.

I was going to base it on categories, but couldn't get the api to do what I needed it to do and needed to get it working for a project.

It does NOT use much of the OpenACS framework yet, but it will shortly.  I opted against using CR for the backend currently, but am using CR for some features.

It was designed with Google in mind so the links are clean and don't use the ? or & in them.

It currently allows you to set up multiple levels of categories and subcategories, and you can set whether a category is allowed to receive submissions.

I have an external routine which I will work into OpenACS that checks 1/14th of the database every night for bad links, redirections, etc.  Currently written in perl and run as a cron job on the php version.  I am debating whether this should run in the OpenACS scheduler or stay external.

Integration with search, pagination, and permission/editor handling hasn't been finished yet.  I might turn it live before finishing certain features to see how things need to work from an administrative standpoint.

Collapse
Sounds great. Are you working in postgres or oracle?  How soon would you be willing to release the code? I don't expect to get to this section of the project for a bit and I'm also not afraid of less then finished code.
Collapse
Posted by Chris Davies on
I'm using postgresql.

I fixed pagination last night -- and am working on the admin section and permissions.

From the frontend perspective, its done.  I've got to deal with optimizing some queries and cleaning up some code.  For some reason, my .apm doesn't install cleanly in a fresh install, once I get that figured out, I'll give you the url for it so you can take a look.  I would suspect sometime this week I'll have that set.

The admin section is basic, but works.  I need to add a few more finishing touches which I am working on so that I can turn it live.  Its pretty close, and I'll have a live site url for you later this week so you can see it in action.

Collapse
Hi Chris,

How is it going? I am ready to give it a try if you are ready to send me a copy.

Thanks
Caroline