Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Screen name / real name parameter

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Since this touches a lot of things, can we postpone this until after 5.0?
Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
Joel: I agree with that. Committing only the user_display procs would make not much sense, and committing something that touches all packages would be too much. I'd rather see a bit more planning going into the user_display procs before, ideally considering something like user specific privacy settings as well.
Collapse
Posted by Benjamin Bytheway on
I agree with leaving it out at this point.  My original intent was to get the user_display procs into 4.6 HEAD early, so work could be done to get as many packages as possible to honor the new parameter.

I actually finished my work in mid-late August, but the process of getting bigger core changes, made by a non-committer, into the toolkit is not very well defined. This whole process from the beginning has been pretty frustrating, actually. I would have liked a little more comment from the core developers and community members before I went ahead on such a big change, but that didn't happen.  I did my best to implement what I thought would be the most useful, but without more community support, I had little hope of my patches actually making it in.  I guess that's why the TIP process was created, I was just a bit too early.

What I'd like to do now is wait for 5.0 to release, and then reimplement it on the new code base.  With 4.6 dead, trying to fit my work back in to the much-changed 5.0 would be almost as much work as starting over. After 5.0 is out the door, I'll write up a TIP.