Forum OpenACS Development: Screen name / real name parameter

I'm in the beginning stages of designing a site that will need to use screen_name for the identifyer of all registered users, keeping private both real names and email addresses.  Since I'm going to be doing the work, I thought I might as well do it in a way that could be included in the toolkit.

The best way I've come up with to do something like this would be to have a parameter in acs-subsite that toggled between the two options.  We already have datamodel support for this with the screen_name column in the users table.

There are is a tcl proc that could be modified to support screen_name instead of first_names || last_name: ad_community_member_link.  Unfortunately, this proc is not widely used to get the info about a user.  More often the information is queried directly from the database.

Another addition would also have to be added to the registration process to make screen_name required, and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have a proc (maybe just modify ad_maybe_redirect_for_registration) that would check if a user had a screen_name and prompt for one if needed.  This would make it possible to toggle the screen_name/real name switch after some users had already registered.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how this change could be best done? Should there be a plsql function that returns the correct identifyer based on the subsite parameter or  would a tcl proc be the preferred way to get the info? This type of change will probably touch almost every package, so I want to do it right

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Not directly responding to your question, but you might want to look at Lars' work on external authentication, so that your changes and his don't conflict.

This looks like a useful feature. 😊

Collapse
Posted by Benjamin Bytheway on
I want to stay as far away from actual user authentication as I can. My concern is almost strictly display.  The parameter I propose would not change the login from being email based (or whatever the new external authentication requires).  I can see some possible overlap, though.
Collapse
I've thought about some of the difficulties associated with the screen/real name parameter and I think I have come up with a solution that is workable.

Setting the screen name parameter before any user signs up isn't a big problem.  The user will always be prompted to input a user name at registration.  The main problems arise when the switch is toggled after a number of users have registered.  Previous users won't have a screen name because they weren't prompted for one at user sign up.  To solve this problem, when the screen_name parameter is turned on, users will be identified by screen_name, if it exists, or their real name if it does not.

This is perhaps an overly simple solution, but one that would eliminate the necessity of modifying ad_maybe_redirect_for_registration, because every user would be identifyable by some handle.  Of course, I'm not sure as of yet how the external authentication package will impact this, but I'll push forward to get this implemented.

My plan is to do this in the 4.6 branch unless I am told that it would be better done in HEAD.

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Simple is good, and I like your solution. It would be a nice feature to have for many sites.

-Roberto

Collapse
I'm ready for an update on my progress on adding this parameter. I'd also like some comments about my approach.

I've added a ScreenNameP parameter to acs-subsite, which defaults to 0. The registration procedure governed by acs-subsite honors the parameter and will require the user to choose a screen name at the time of registration.

To aid package develpers, I've also modified and added some procs and sql functions (postgres only at this point, but I'll have oracle by the time I'm done). These are all housed in the acs-subsite package:

TCL Procs

user_display::get_screen_name_p

Takes no parameters. This proc returns the value of the ScreenNameP parameter of the closes acs-subsite ancestor package.
user_display::get_name
Requires a user_id and optionally takes a -screen_name_p parameter. If screen_name_p is not provided, it will be found by calling the get_screen_name_p procedure above. If screen_name_p is 0, this proc will turn the real name of the user. If screen_name_p is 1, the screen_name will be returned if it exists, otherwise the real name will be returned.

SQL Function

user_display__get_name (postgres)

This function requires a user_id and screen_name_p. The return for this function is the same as the tcl get_name function.
As a test, I've modified the forum package using both the tcl and sql functions, and it appears to work well. I'm not sure how this approach will affect performance, but we should be able to improve things by caching the tcl procs.

Will this approach be sufficient to allow us to start modifying packages to honor this parameter? I'm interested if this approach is something the community would approve for inclusion into the toolkit.

Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
sounds like a good change to me.
Collapse
Posted by Bjorn Thor Jonsson on
This feature will be very useful for a small website I'm working on every now and then.

If possible it would be good to have real names optional if ScreenNameP=1.

And it would be very nice to have this on cvs HEAD, or any branch that will include the i18n ability.

Do you plan to add another parameter for keeping email addresses (and real names) private?  Or is that implicit in ScreenNameP=1 ?

A bit related:

Won't the ability to keep email addresses private call for some inter-user-communication features?

A web interface for sending a message to a user's hidden email address, like is possible at Yahoo groups, or a webmail-like private messaging system (messages stored on the web server) like phpBB.com features?

Is there any functionality like this available for OpenACS?  I might try to implement something like that...

Collapse
Bjorn:

I've made ScreenNameP control only the display of a user's name.  I thought about it also controlling email addresses, but I think that should be a seperate parameter.  There is a priv_email column in the users table, but it looks like the use of that to control display of email address has been depracated. Resurrecting priv_email could allow each user to control the display the display of their own email address.

Whatever method we decide to use, I think there should be some mechanism for controlling email address display.

As for your private-notes package, I've had something like that in mind for a while now.  Maybe that's something we can work together on and get hammered out.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Looks like you're nearly done, Benjamin ... let me know when you've got a patch ready to submit and we can slip it in after testing.
Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
What's the status of this? In my new HEAD installation, there is a ScreenName parameter and it is being used in the registration process apparently, but I can't find the user_display::get_name proc anywhere.

And a performance related note: we definitely want to avoid plsql functions in queries. Especially pages that compile lists with more users on it, e.g. the recent-posters script of forums shouldn't use something like user_display__get_name. Propably also queries that return fewer users because it is not always possible to make sure the plsql function is only executed for the rows that are really returned by the query as far as I understand. So for those cases we need to be able to do the computing in tcl, like this:

db_multirow -extend { display_name } recent_posters recent_posters  { } {
  set display_name [user_display::get_name -first_names $first_names -last_name $last_name -screen_name $screen_name]
}
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Til,

I have Ben's patches, that were originally made for oacs-4-6. I have been adapting them to HEAD but with the entire reorganization of the registration process, and move to /lib, plus external authentication, I have not finished it yet.

The fact that I'm in the middle of my midterms did not help either, but I should commit everything this weekend.

Did I accidentally commit a user_display:: proc? I didn't mean to.

-Roberto

Collapse
<blockquote> Did I accidentally commit a user_display:: proc? I didn't mean to.
</blockquote>

No you didn't. I only found a few occurences of reading the ScreenName parameter in acs-subsite, that's it.

Collapse
Isn't the whole point of the user_display::get_name that it gets used _everywhere_ instead of displaying the column values directly, which means it needs a lot of replacing in all existing packages, including some kind of audit to make sure there is no place left where the privacy rules are not obeyed?

Do the patches you are planning to commit contain such changes to packages or are they just the api?

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
using user_display::get_name would also allow us to use the name display for countries where they read from right to left ($last_name $first_names).
Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Since this touches a lot of things, can we postpone this until after 5.0?
Collapse
Joel: I agree with that. Committing only the user_display procs would make not much sense, and committing something that touches all packages would be too much. I'd rather see a bit more planning going into the user_display procs before, ideally considering something like user specific privacy settings as well.
Collapse
I agree with leaving it out at this point.  My original intent was to get the user_display procs into 4.6 HEAD early, so work could be done to get as many packages as possible to honor the new parameter.

I actually finished my work in mid-late August, but the process of getting bigger core changes, made by a non-committer, into the toolkit is not very well defined. This whole process from the beginning has been pretty frustrating, actually. I would have liked a little more comment from the core developers and community members before I went ahead on such a big change, but that didn't happen.  I did my best to implement what I thought would be the most useful, but without more community support, I had little hope of my patches actually making it in.  I guess that's why the TIP process was created, I was just a bit too early.

What I'd like to do now is wait for 5.0 to release, and then reimplement it on the new code base.  With 4.6 dead, trying to fit my work back in to the much-changed 5.0 would be almost as much work as starting over. After 5.0 is out the door, I'll write up a TIP.

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Yeah, part of the problem has definitely been the lack of a TIP process, which we now have, but also that it happened to collide with another major project, namely external authentication.

Let's discuss this well in time for next release, which has a feature freeze date of January 1st :)

/Lars

Collapse
I wish this little project had turned out better.  One reason I posted so early to the forums about my ideas for implementation was to hopefully avoid major clashes with the authentication code going in.  The necessary communication didn't take place.

So much development is going on in private, with no access to the code until it's completely done, that it's almost impossible to contribute anything meaningful to the core, especially if you're an independent developer.

I don't know that TIPs or increased governance are really going to be an answer to get more of the "little people" or "worker bees" to contribute more than just simple patches.

I'm currently following another project with literally dozens of people making meaningful, useful, and rapid improvements and additions.  Anyone who sees an itch to scratch has all to tools they need to get their work done and still be current with the newest developments of the main branch.  In addition, their work is easily merged into the main development line. I hope one day we will have such a system here.

Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
Which project are you following that's doing better?  Since our governance is just being formed, maybe there's something we could  learn from them.
Collapse
The project is Arch (now Gnu Arch).  It's a fairly small project now, with a dictatorship style of leadership, but it is already a very useful tool (version 1.1 is scheduled to release beginning of November).

Arch is a distributed version control system (self-hosting, of course), which is why so many people are able to contribute to it. Developers can make their own repositories and branches, make their changes, and have their work merged back into the main tree.  Most developers set up their own "read-only" repositories, and submit bug fixes or new features by telling the lead developer which repository/branch/patch to merge from.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Benjamin,

Can you suggest a better way for us to handle contributions?

I think the process works pretty well. If you need commit privileges to the tree, you can contact Don Baccus (or any core team member) by email. They are very helpful.

This is documented on the /contribute page which is linked right from the openacs.org home page.

If you are working on a big change that affects many pages across packages, it is possible to get write access to the entire tree.

The core team is making effort to keep up with the bugs and patches from now on.

Collapse
For me it wasn't clear from reading this thread in the beginning that it would be such a major change which would require touching almost every package - this could have been stated more clearly, then propably more people would have joined the discussion.

I disagree that having commit rights is the solution for these kind of problems, since a major change like this should definitely be preceded by a public discussion with everyone having the chance to participate. Since there is the TIP process now, this problem is solved (kudos to those who implemented it!!!).

Collapse
From my very first post in this thread:

...This type of change will probably touch almost every package, so I want to do it right.

I've already said my piece, More liberally given commit rights (which could be potentially dangerous) and TIPs begin to solve some problems, but are not the whole solution (especially to the development in private issues).

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Benjamin,

Which development are you talking about that's going on in private?

Development of external authentication, at least, has been quite open. The spec has been up for months in a public, advertised place. Our design documents, too, have been public and announced. And during development, we have at most been one day's worth of work away from the last commit to the OpenACS repository. So it can't be external authentication.

Which developments are you talking about going on in private, then?

/Lars

Collapse
Lars,

I was referring to external authentication, but stand corrected.  I was under the impression that most of the development of the actual code (I have been following the specs & design documents) was going on internal to collaboraid, and then commited as a whole to the main tree.

I probably came to this conclusion because I was developing on the 4-6 branch (in anticipation of 4.6.4), which was abandoned.

I suppose I just started this work at the wrong time and place.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for airing your complaints. We want this to work (for all our sakes), so if you think of any concrete ways we can change things, let us know. We don't want to frustrate new developers -- we want to welcome them in and make it as easy for them as possible. So please let us know what else we can do.

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
API design thought:

Possible naming schemes for users:

1) Name part:
- first_names last_name
- last_name, first_names
- last_name, (first initial)
- first_names (first initial of last_name)
- screen_name

2) Email part
- full email (only for registered users)
- disguised email (for registered users/for others)
- no email

3) Online status
- icon if user is online
- icon both if user is online or not

4) User icon
- let users upload a small image and show that?

I'm sure there are other possibilities, these were just some thoguhts.

/Lars

Collapse
I wish this discussion had received this much attention a few months ago.

In retrospect, the solution I came up with and implemented is insufficent.  With external authentication, we now have 3 main possibilities for what name the user should go by: Real Name(with all it's variations), Username, and screen name.

I think all of these variations should be user-configurable.  If a user really does want to be know by his real name, instead of his screen-name, let him do it.  Likewise, if his username is already generic and anonymous enough, why require a seperate screen name?

My previous work put all of these decisions in the hands of the administrator, I think they should be up to the user with the administrator setting the defaults.

Thoughts?

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
I think they should be set by the administrator, so it's consistent. It would be very confusing if each user is identified differently.

There's an issue with username vs. screen_name, which is that screen_name is unique site-wide, whereas usernames are only unique per authenticating authority, because we cannot control these. So there might be two users with the same username, if you have multiple authorities configured.

But right, for single-authority-sites, they'd be equivalent.

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Also, regarding the attention this is getting ... it's a volunteer effort, so you can't do much to force anyone to pay attention, you can only encourage ... Such is life :)
Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
While we're at it, let's add some fields for users' IM addresses. It would be really nice, for instance, if on OACS.org I could find out how to ping someone directly via AIM or YIM. Or Jabber for that matter.

But never MSN!!!! Mwhahahaha!!!

talli

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
If you decide to add the IM addresses without looking or even installing the jabber package, which takes care of this, please contact me the moment you commit to CVS, so we have a chance to modify the jabber module and package
Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
Making user-chooses-own optional might be OK but I sure want to enforce a single standard on my sites...
Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
That has been discussed before.
I will try to get my changes from acs-person (which is deprecated) into the community-core upgrade so we at least have a usable HR-XML type DB.
I have everything done, except for the fact that I need some PG 7.3 functionallity (specifically drop columns and create or replace views). This has already been approved but put on hold pending the final status of PG 7.2 support.