Forum OpenACS Q&A: How do I.....?

Collapse
Posted by Chris Krasnichuk on
Hello,
I'm having big trouble installing this program.
Could anybody help me out?

Chris

Collapse
2: Re: How do I.....? (response to 1)
Posted by Jeff Davis on
I would recommend you ask on irc (#openacs on irc.freenode.net , https://openacs.org/irc/ for more details)
Collapse
3: Re: How do I.....? (response to 1)
no ones in the room so now what do I do?
Collapse
4: Re: How do I.....? (response to 3)
Posted by Roberto Mello on
You must have done something wrong. There are plenty of people in the channel (often called a "room"), including I.

You could also ask here by giving us more details of what your setup is and what errors you are receiving. The IRC channel would be more interactive.

-Roberto

Collapse
5: Re: How do I.....? (response to 1)
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
I'm there. Are you on the right IRC network?

In any case...it is always helpful if you give descriptive error reports. What is your operating system, your database, your OpenACS version, and where does it not work?

Collapse
6: Re: How do I.....? (response to 1)
Would you be able to give me a setup of the irc channel maybe I will be able to do it that way.
I'm also using the program: mIRC cause I'm using windows.
please it seams like people are on the forums right now so please reply asap.
Thanks
chris
Collapse
7: Re: How do I.....? (response to 1)
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
The server (or irc network) is "irc.freenode.net", the name of the chatroom "#openacs".
Collapse
8: Re: How do I.....? (response to 1)
Posted by Tom Jackson on

Does anyone think it is ironic that the OpenACS tagline is "The Toolkit for Online Communities", and yet to get help for installing the software you have to go to an irc channel?

Chris, maybe state what problem you have run into here, someone might still help you out via the forum, which seems to be working. Also your message will get emailed to everyone, and doesn't rely on who is currently online.

Collapse
9: Re: How do I.....? (response to 1)
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
I can help the website maintainers integrate NFC chat (like IRC except it can easily be integrated with OACS's user tables) into openacs.org if they are interested.
Collapse
10: Re: How do I.....? (response to 8)
Posted by bill kellerman on
chris,

unless some kind soul offers help through irc (which was the case here), i wouldn't assume irc to be your first line of support with openacs.

it is better to start out in the forums.  use the site search to check if anyone else is having a problem like yours, then post your questions into the forum.  try to be as clear as possible on what your problem is, what software versions you are running, what exact commands you are executing during the procedure, and include any error messages you may be receiving.

maybe i'm wrong, but probably more people watch the forums by email than attend the irc channel at any particular time.  i've found posts i've made responded to within a couple of hours at the most.

maybe there should be a 976helpoacs.  3.95 a minute, all profits go to me.  i volunteer to maintain this package.  killer business model.  done.