Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Which version of xotcl-soap (xosoap) should I use?

Tom,

If you add attributes, there is an ambiguous quality. Without human analysis, you can't determine if the element attribute is logically part of the element data, or a comment on the data itself. For instance, the element content could be encoded, so an attribute could be targeted at the serializer/deserializer code and not the application.

Again, this is what I referred to as "content-/ document-model-first" versus "language-construct-first" (or, schema-first versus object-first). It depends on your scenario and the set of requirements embodied in coded conventions. Justis' WSDLs are auto-generated by Axis which implies an object-first simplification. For the resulting Java objects, it does not make any difference whether an object member (i.e. property or slot in XOTcl terms) is transmitted as element or element attribute. That is, in object-first scenarios, there is hardly any quality difference between element and attribute content because the underlying object systems does not make these distinctions.

Your statement is certainly valid but only for schema-first scenarios, where we cannot stream-line schema information in the meta-object level of an object system. But this is certainly NOT an issue with Justis' WSDLs ...

Without human analysis, you can't determine if the element attribute is logically part of the element data, or a comment on the data itself. For instance, the element content could be encoded, so an attribute could be targeted at the serializer/deserializer code and not the application.

Again, you refer to something which does not concern Justis' WSDLs at all. In Document/Literal style, document content is not "encoded" as it would be with SOAP Encoding or whatsoever. It is a proper document that can be thrown against any XML schema.