Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Mirrors and Repositories

Collapse
Posted by Robert Taylor on
btw, thanks for checking into this script.

some points:

- this is mostly right now an internal 'get it working' of Maltes great install scripts that build everything from source. balancing debian/ubuntu/backport repo package versioning against latest oacs framework requirements is NOT fun. so we are starting from source, get it installing EVERY single time for us on a plain base debian install. Thanks for the scripts Malte, glad we grabbed them before you scrubbed yoru wiki! :)

- i'm not sure yet if we have any intention to release it, it needs lots of polish and making it user friendly and robust. right now its VERY fragile - as we can see, we can't even depend on tarballs never mind our own cockups. at minimum error checking needs to be built in so if some set of basic failures occur the user is notified of it.

- some features i'd love to see:

a) maybe we can work with dirk to spit out .debs of all packages. obviously only oacs is required but having an updated internal repo here will be A LOT nicer than relying on the debian release cycle.

b) build from public source repositories

c) build from private mirrors of source repositories (i'm not sure if i should be annoyed at the tdom situation or whether or not access to their cvs matters ...)

d) selection of compatible components for install

e) install from public debian repos + oacs repos

f) install from full oacs or private repos

but thats mostly a dream right now. luckily its just labour, not really anything sophisticated at all so doable and i think maintainable as we are talking some fairly basic processes and well established technologies.