Forum OpenACS Development: Mirrors and Repositories

Collapse
Posted by Iuri Sampaio on
It took me a while but...
after debugging my scripts to install oacs on debian
https://openacs.org/storage/?folder%5fid=492324

i verified the reason people don't have an easy and decent installing step.

1. Tdom's cvs repository is down.
2. XOTcl, tcllib tarballs are broke.

I believe weather we want new users on oacs community or don't frustrate current users, it's extreme necessary we get it done right from the first steps, (i.e. installing framework).

Me and robert taylor are already doing something on this field in order to solve this problem. If there is someone interested or already doing the same, please let us know.

Collapse
Posted by Stefan Sobernig on
Iuri,

2. XOTcl, tcllib tarballs are broke.

Would you mind sharing WHAT actually "is broken" with >the< XOTcl tarball so that we can have a closer look ...

I verified back with the responsible bash script in your distribution (3-aolserver) and it seems that you fetch and use xotcl 1.5.3:

/line 116/
wget http://media.wu-wien.ac.at/download/xotcl-1.5.3.tar.gz

I would appreciate any hints in this direction. Moreover, if you find the time you might want to switch to the most current release, 1.5.6, which comes with improved robustness for the aolserver environment ...

Thanks for your efforts!

//stefan

Collapse
Posted by Iuri Sampaio on
Stefan,

in the time i ran the script, 3-aolserver, XOTcl version 1.5.3
from http://media.wu-wien.ac.at/download/xotcl-1.5.3.tar.gz
had its tarball bad compacted.

when i ran ¨tar -xzf ... ¨, the tarball was corrupted. It´s just a matter of make a new tarball. just that simple :)

Yes, i will try the new version of XOTcl and let you know.

My efforts are a pleasure

regards,
iuri

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I just confirmed that the 1.5.3 tarball is corrupted ...
Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
You are sure? strange, i have just now downloaded xotcl-1.5.3.tar.gz and it is ok (downloaded via FF from the link above). For reference the downloaded file:

-rw-r--r--@ 1 neumann 501 1961146 17 Jan 20:54 /Users/neumann/Desktop/xotcl-1.5.3.tar.gz

MD5 (/Users/neumann/Desktop/xotcl-1.5.3.tar.gz) = ed246596550812375ff4461c07b89bcb

Anyhow, you should use 1.5.6 from http://media.wu-wien.ac.at/download.html

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
iuri, you can shorten your AOLserver install script as lined out at http://cognovis.de/developer/aolserver_ubuntu . As for the xotcl files, they still work with me (as are the ones for tcllib). With regards to tdom, yes, this is an issue and I have no clue when it will be back. In the menatime we could still download tdom0.82
Collapse
Posted by Robert Taylor on
as a side note, I know .LRN consortium has made arrangement with Dirk Gomez to spit out some debian packages for oacs.

we are looking at working with Dirk to help out with this process as well.

Collapse
btw, thanks for checking into this script.

some points:

- this is mostly right now an internal 'get it working' of Maltes great install scripts that build everything from source. balancing debian/ubuntu/backport repo package versioning against latest oacs framework requirements is NOT fun. so we are starting from source, get it installing EVERY single time for us on a plain base debian install. Thanks for the scripts Malte, glad we grabbed them before you scrubbed yoru wiki! :)

- i'm not sure yet if we have any intention to release it, it needs lots of polish and making it user friendly and robust. right now its VERY fragile - as we can see, we can't even depend on tarballs never mind our own cockups. at minimum error checking needs to be built in so if some set of basic failures occur the user is notified of it.

- some features i'd love to see:

a) maybe we can work with dirk to spit out .debs of all packages. obviously only oacs is required but having an updated internal repo here will be A LOT nicer than relying on the debian release cycle.

b) build from public source repositories

c) build from private mirrors of source repositories (i'm not sure if i should be annoyed at the tdom situation or whether or not access to their cvs matters ...)

d) selection of compatible components for install

e) install from public debian repos + oacs repos

f) install from full oacs or private repos

but thats mostly a dream right now. luckily its just labour, not really anything sophisticated at all so doable and i think maintainable as we are talking some fairly basic processes and well established technologies.

Collapse
i found the tdom developer here is an update:

the actual cvs is up, only the anon cvs access is not working.

basically its hosted on zorans servers and its just a matter of getting zoran to fix it.

while that is where the situation is now, something can be arranged and the dev is kind of glad to see us use his project (though we obviously aren't the only ones).

so at least its a known problem, it's been brought up, there are tons of options as a solution. i think it will be resolved probably in a reasonable amount of time.

i hope that helps.

Collapse
Posted by russ m on
FYI, I've debianised tDOM 0.8.2, and built the .deb for Ubuntu Gutsy on amd64 though the .diff should also work for Etch/Lenny. I was halfheartedly thinking of becoming a debian developer to bring their tDOM back to life but don't really have the free time to take responsibility for maintaining it beyond my immediate needs.

regardless, package & diffs here