Forum OpenACS Development: Maintainer of current photo-album package?
I am looking at making a few modifications / enhancements to the latest photo-album package and wondering who is the maintainer of it. The modifications I am considering are:
- User-configurable display (and possible editing) of EXIF data stored during photo upload
- The setting of photo icons for folders in addition to albums
- User-configurable ordering of photos within an album (manually, by date, by name)
- Searching of photos (is this already possible using site-wide search?) based on name and other details like EXIF data
- The possibility of using the exiftags library instead of / as an alternative to Jhead. Exiftags seems to read more data than Jhead
Any comments / additions from anyone?
I made some modifications to photo-album recently. See some of the changes at http://www.thecodemill.biz/publications/photos.
My changes include:
- manual ordering of photos
- fixes for many of the reported errors
- only one clipboard instead of multiple
- resize medium image size after changing the image size parameter of the package.
- new look
However, most of these changes were made to suite my personal needs. Haven't committed them to CVS yet. If you like you can receive a copy of my changes and take it from there.
Bart, I would definitely be interested in looking at your code. I like the idea of resizing thumbnails when the parameters are changed - I hadn't thought of that one.
Anyone could make modifications of any package and the maintainer (or anyone else) could just synch the desired changeset to get the functionality/changes/fixes.
while arch is a better CMS in the making than CVS it is no substitute for a package maintainer. The problem is not how to fork a package or how to get bits and pieces of a fork back into the canonial package. But rather the lack of a package maintainer who would use tools like arch or CVS to keep the canonial package up to date.
Yes, no problem Rocael.
Bart, could you please send me a copy of your code?
Either way - could you e-mail me when you've finished committing your patches to CVS. I'll test them out ...
Don, I'm surprised to hear that the PG version didn't work for you. I've had it running on the OACS5a release and on 4.6.3 (modified to take out noquote) with no problems.
There were a few minor annoyances like not recording some EXIF data and not displaying any, but they were pretty easy to fix. If no-one else has fixed those, I'll contribute them once Rocael's bugfixes included.
The reason I ask is because most, if not all, of them have been committed to HEAD.
After all, most of the fixes are not new features ...
We are still working on this, further changes will be on HEAD and might be at oacs-5-0 as well. Thanks to Enrique, Jose Pablo and Gerardo from Galileo who did the work on this ... ;o)
Thank you guys for the work you have done, it's much appreciated.
I've already done this work on an earlier version so if no-one has a more current version, I'll look at updating the latest one and contributing it back.