Forum OpenACS Development: Maintainer of current photo-album package?

I am looking at making a few modifications / enhancements to the latest photo-album package and wondering who is the maintainer of it. The modifications I am considering are:

• User-configurable display (and possible editing) of EXIF data stored during photo upload
  • The setting of photo icons for folders in addition to albums
  • User-configurable ordering of photos within an album (manually, by date, by name)
  • Searching of photos (is this already possible using site-wide search?) based on name and other details like EXIF data
  • The possibility of using the exiftags library instead of / as an alternative to Jhead. Exiftags seems to read more data than Jhead

Any comments / additions from anyone?

Collapse
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
James,

I made some modifications to photo-album recently. See some of the changes at http://www.thecodemill.biz/publications/photos.

My changes include:

- manual ordering of photos
- fixes for many of the reported errors
- only one clipboard instead of multiple
- resize medium image size after changing the image size parameter of the package.
- new look

However, most of these changes were made to suite my personal needs. Haven't committed them to CVS yet. If you like you can receive a copy of my changes and take it from there.

/Bart

Collapse
Posted by James Harris on

Bart, I would definitely be interested in looking at your code. I like the idea of resizing thumbnails when the parameters are changed - I hadn't thought of that one.

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
If only we were using arch...

Anyone could make modifications of any package and the maintainer (or anyone else) could just synch the desired changeset to get the functionality/changes/fixes.

Maybe someday 😊

-Roberto

Collapse
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
Roberto,

while arch is a better CMS in the making than CVS it is no substitute for a package maintainer. The problem is not how to fork a package or how to get bits and pieces of a fork back into the canonial package. But rather the lack of a package maintainer who would use tools like arch or CVS to keep the canonial package up to date.

/Bart

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Bart, tell it to Linus. :) He was and is the primary "package maintainer" for the Linux kernel, but switched to a better version control system, one rather like Arch, in order to be able to accept more patches with less work. And to allow others to do the same as well.
Hello, we are fixing many of the bugs of the photo-album (nearly 18 bugs), and we are uploading patchs, today or tomorrow tuesday, I'll upload all the changes, including i18n to the CVS ....  James, can you wait a little, so we upload this stuff, and you can continue working ...
Collapse

Yes, no problem Rocael.

Bart, could you please send me a copy of your code?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Hey, I just fixed some bugs locally a couple of days ago, Roc - the PG version flat out didn't work at all.  Are you working on the PG version, Oracle version, or both?

Either way - could you e-mail me when you've finished committing your patches to CVS.  I'll test them out ...

We are working on PG mostly, but testing on oracle as well, so the changes are for both DBs. I'll email you when its commited this ...
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Why is there still a photo-album in contrib?  I thought everything had been rolled into the standard package ...
Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
There is not one in cvs on openacs.org.  Maybe you have an
old checkout?
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Why can't Don remember to use "-P" when updating :)
Collapse

Don, I'm surprised to hear that the PG version didn't work for you. I've had it running on the OACS5a release and on 4.6.3 (modified to take out noquote) with no problems.

There were a few minor annoyances like not recording some EXIF data and not displaying any, but they were pretty easy to fix. If no-one else has fixed those, I'll contribute them once Rocael's bugfixes included.

Collapse
Posted by Ola Hansson on
Is the plan to get the many great bug fixes by Rocael et al into the final 5.0 release? I'm hoping it is.

The reason I ask is because most, if not all, of them have been committed to HEAD.

After all, most of the fixes are not new features ...

/Ola

Ola, its done! now the photo-album from HEAD its on oacs-5-0.
We are still working on this, further changes will be on HEAD and might be at oacs-5-0 as well. Thanks to Enrique, Jose Pablo and Gerardo from Galileo who did the work on this ... ;o)
Collapse
Posted by Ola Hansson on
Wow! I'm impressed by how fast you act. 😊

Thank you guys for the work you have done, it's much appreciated.

Collapse
Posted by Brad Ford on
If I overwrite the photo-album folders from an install from head a week ago and update the package, will there be any upgrade issues?
Collapse
I've just installed OACS 5 and I notice that no EXIF data is being stored in the database (and obviously as a result, none is displayed).  Wasn't there a plan to update the photoalbum for the release?

I've already done this work on an earlier version so if no-one has a more current version, I'll look at updating the latest one and contributing it back.