Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Bazaar for packages and ideas, pre-TIP discussion

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
This is a great idea.

Any reason we would not want to include non-software items such as:

Creating a shared booth display or shared brochure resources.

Also do we  want to support software projects that do not fit within one package? Examples: OSX install on CD.  Setting up OACS to be skinable and creating some different designs.  Custom installs for various uses.

I'm also not sure about the states.

What state does the following scenario fall into.

Your client has a requirement that you anticipate he will fund in the future but you have not yet done detailed design.  Your goal is to gather similar requirements and design ideas and generally give a heads up that you will be working on this in the future.

Also if we include non-software projects, we may want to replace "developer" with "technical resources" or something like that.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Caroline, I utterly agree, it should not be limited to development and was not my intention, though from re-reading the posting, it is. Will definitly change this once it get's tipped.

Your description would fall under *need funding*. Maybe I'm too conservative here, but unless the client has committed himself to it, it would need funding. OTOH, if you are fairly sure about it, just put it under *in development*. But maybe we need to think of a new state, after all.

Jade, the TIP of Dirk arrived due to the discussions about the bazaar and the need for getting information on what is happening in the various packages. I do not want to get a structured approach, which is why the proposal is called Bazaar. It should facilitate easy and spontaneous collaboration and idea exchange. In this it might not be structured enough for a status page (as per TIP #28), especially if the move is going to integrate it into Bugtracker.

In any case, Dirk and I are heavily coordinating on this (the idea has been in our heads for about three months already), I just not wanted to make a huge ammendment on the TIP.

Once openacs.org has been upgraded I'm willing in helping the jumpstart of the bazaar.

Collapse
Posted by Lee Denison on
This is a great idea Malte.  I'd be willing to put some time into it if it is approved.