Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Wrong path for interpreters on openacs scripts

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
While you are at it, is our general way of installing FHS compliant? I mean storing the files in /var/lib/aolserver probably is, but should we store the configurations in /etc/aolserver?

I'm not keen on changing my beloved location of files, but when you build the package for Debian I was wondering if there is need for adaptation.

Hi Malte,

I'm following the Debian policy for webapps as a guide of where to store the files, and those are the correct places:

• /usr/share/(openacs|dotlrn): the application itself.
  • /var/log/aolserver4/(openacs|dotlrn): log files.
  • /etc/(openacs|dotlrn): config files.
  • /etc/init.d/(openacs|dotlrn): the init script (based on aolserver one).

I have not decided where to put content repository files yet (maybe at /var/lib/(openacs|dotlrn)).

BTW, I realized that there are lots of files that doesn't look like config files in etc/ openacs directory, like the install directory and the daemontools... Should not they be moved to another place, like openacs/bin/install or openacs/install (in the install directory case)?

Collapse
Posted by Stefan Sobernig on
Malte,

I'm not keen on changing my beloved location of files, but when you build the package for Debian I was wondering if there is need for adaptation.

There is not necessarily the need to adapt the OpenACS distribution/ file system per se. That's why there is packaging logic for Debian (dpkg-*) and all the other flavours that allows to separate these two concerns. From my experience, a formal packaging process always leads to clean-up in upstream.

However, I would definitely not align OpenACS to a single what-so-ever distribution of hosting platform, e.g. Debian file system layout or Debian Policy layouts.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Okay, but this means that we have the default OpenACS layout as per documentation. Then we have a special layout if the package was installed on Debian using the package Hector is building. Yet, when someone installed it on Debian using the installation instructions it looks like default OpenACS.

Then again on Solaris or RedHat we would have other locations where OpenACS sites are installed? Brrr..... but that's maybe only me as I usually have to figure out first where on the server OpenACS is installed when I'm asked to consult.