Forum OpenACS Q&A: Turning on the pull-down menus?

Collapse
Posted by Michael Feldstein on
We're trying to experiment with the pull-down menus but we can't seem
to get them to turn on. We have MenuOnAdminPagesP=1 set, for example,
but we're not seeing them on the admin pages.

What are we missing?

Collapse
OK, it looks like the pull-down menus haven't been ported yet.
Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
no no, I've ported this stuff. The code *seems* to work, but there
seem to be some weird Javascript issues.
Collapse
Is the Javascript problem what is preventing it from showing up at all? We can't figure out how to turn the damned thing on.
Collapse
Posted by David Richards on
I've messed with the silly thing for about a week now.  (OK, just from time to time.) I know that the javascript is not creating the top-most navbar items before assigning values to them.  That's where it blows.

I've been greping the heck out of everything.  I've looked at the pull-down-menus source from pages that work on photo.net and arsdigita.com (i.e. I'm viewing the source of a page with pull-down-menus).  I decided that hasn't been fruitful yet.  I've read all the available documentation (there isn't much of it).  I've done everything I can find in the admin pages.  If there's nobody out here in the discussion boards that has gotten this to work, then I guess I'm going to have to start wading through the ../tcl libraries for help.  It seems like there's the link to the pull-down-menus from ad_header.  (Maybe it isn't passing the right info?  I don't know.)  Or, I've got to try to hack through MakeNavLayers in pdm.js.

Has anyone already got it working?  Can anyone save me the effort?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
You might compare with the version in ACS 3.3 - it's entirely possible that the code released in ACS 3.2 didn't work.
Collapse
Posted by Aurelius Prochazka on
Hi,

From http://arsdigita.com/doc/pull-down-menus uner known bugs and limitations, there is the line "If a top-level menu item has no children, a javascript error will occur on mouse-over."

Its a bug that I know about but haven't had time to fix.

Aure

Collapse
I'm not sure, but this Aure's answer doesn't seem to solve the problem. If the only issue were top-level menus w/o children then the admin menus that come bundled with the ACS installation should still work. But they don't.