PostgreSQL ...  😊

So far, whenever I have played with Linux, it has been SuSe so that's
what I would prefer to use. Being a newbie to all of this neat stuff,
I don't need to deal with really tough problems that could be avoided
by using RedHat.

Any experience anyone?

Collapse
Posted by Gilbert Wong on
I installed it on Red Hat 6.1.  If you follow the install directions at http://www.openacs.org/doc/acspg/html/concrete-acs.html, you should be able to get it working with no problems.  I also had to refer to the other documents at http://www.openacs.org/doc/acspg/index.html.  It's much easier to install OpenACS with postgreSQL than it is to install ACS with Oracle.  I'm still trying to get Oracle, AOLServer and ACS to talk to each other.  =)

Gilbert Wong

Collapse
Posted by Grant Schofield on
We have a number of systems installed and configured on SuSE 6.3 and 6.4. What versions of OpenACS / Postgres are you using? Also, what version of AOLserver are you using?
Collapse
Posted by Joerg Michael on
Grant, I have not downloaded anything yet. As soon as I get a Linux box set up, I will download the latest and greatest AOLServer, OpenACS and PostgreSQL.

So I guess I WILL go ahead and set up on SuSe 6.4

Collapse
Posted by Tom Kruhlmann on
Hi,

just an update. I am running SUSE 6.4 and the latest openacs, and postgres 7. All install issues went smoothly, sp no problems (so far).

Collapse
Cool, thanks. That sounds great. So while I still haven't gotten around to it, I WILL set up using SuSe 6.4 ... real soon now 😊
Collapse
Posted by Gerard Rowe on
I am running SuSE 6.4 also and would like to know if there is a binary rpm anywhere for Postgresql 7.0.  I tried to build it from source but the make fails with a parse error. Any help would be appreciated.  Also, has anyone installed OpenACS/AOLServer and integrated into the SuSE boot/runlevel concept.

Thanks.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
What parse error did you get in the makefile?  The PG makefile's tested with gmake on a wide variety of machines, so I'm somewhat surprised/baffled by this.  If you can't resolve this, please submit it to the postgres group (go to www.postgresql.org, then "info central", then mailing lists, then sign up for the bugs list and submit.  Tedious, yes, they should use OpenACS and the SDM instead but  I think they still use punched cards, too).
Collapse

Ok folks, a couple of updates from me ...

Saturday night around 8pm I decided that "now is the time to do it. Of course, with no place open to go buy a 6.4 CD set on a Saturday night (this is Germany 😊, I had to grab the old 6.2 CDs.

AOLServer: built from source, absolutely no problems along the way. Easiest and smoothest install experience ever 😊

PostgreSQL 7.0: built from source, I do remember there was some problem in the process, but i may be that I simply forgot to run ./configure in the src dir. Once the initial hurdle was taken, there were no further problems.

ACS: There's not too much that could go wrong during this install 😊. The problems started when I tried to get the whole "mess" running with the help of nsd.tcl and ad.ini. Everything looked right, but something would always not work. When I found the "configuration walkthrough?" thread and picked up Roberto Mello's config files from http://fslc.usu.edu/openacs/ and adapted those to my setup, everything clicked right into place.

Oh yes, I did get to bed that night just before 4:00am. I think 8 hours is not too bad for a first installation - this includes setting up Linux from scratch on a spare disk.

So, now I can face the daunting task of reading up on the gazillion Tcl procs and finding out what is required for pretty much every much page, what is useful and where and how ... 😊 BTW, how many of Philip's problem sets does one have to complete in order to achieve some level of Geekdom? 😊

Oh, I'm also very interested in including the ACS startup into the SuSe system startup scripts. I've looked at the whole thing and decided that I better leave it alone ... I could probably get it to work somehow, but i would like to do it the right way. Any help/scripts/scriplets would be much appreciated ...

Collapse
Posted by Grant Schofield on
Re: Postgres7 - We've installed this now on a number of machines both SuSE 6.4 and 6.3 without a hitch. Saying this, we used postgresql-7.0beta3.tar.gz, as I am still waiting for the new release to arrive by CD.
Collapse
Posted by Gerard Rowe on
Ok, it was my fault. Initially I was trying to build Postgresql 7.0 using my regular login in my home directory, I then 'mv'ed everything to /usr/local/src and that's when I was getting the parse errors. After 'rm'oving everything and untarring it, the build went just fine.
Collapse
Posted by Amanda Hill on
Do you remember me from Jr.High? I'm Joe Hill. You can contact me a mailto:Ahill@Cebridge.net.