Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Has anybody installed on SuSe Linux 6.4

Collapse
Posted by Joerg Michael on

Ok folks, a couple of updates from me ...

Saturday night around 8pm I decided that "now is the time to do it. Of course, with no place open to go buy a 6.4 CD set on a Saturday night (this is Germany 😊, I had to grab the old 6.2 CDs.

AOLServer: built from source, absolutely no problems along the way. Easiest and smoothest install experience ever 😊

PostgreSQL 7.0: built from source, I do remember there was some problem in the process, but i may be that I simply forgot to run ./configure in the src dir. Once the initial hurdle was taken, there were no further problems.

ACS: There's not too much that could go wrong during this install 😊. The problems started when I tried to get the whole "mess" running with the help of nsd.tcl and ad.ini. Everything looked right, but something would always not work. When I found the "configuration walkthrough?" thread and picked up Roberto Mello's config files from http://fslc.usu.edu/openacs/ and adapted those to my setup, everything clicked right into place.

Oh yes, I did get to bed that night just before 4:00am. I think 8 hours is not too bad for a first installation - this includes setting up Linux from scratch on a spare disk.

So, now I can face the daunting task of reading up on the gazillion Tcl procs and finding out what is required for pretty much every much page, what is useful and where and how ... 😊 BTW, how many of Philip's problem sets does one have to complete in order to achieve some level of Geekdom? 😊

Oh, I'm also very interested in including the ACS startup into the SuSe system startup scripts. I've looked at the whole thing and decided that I better leave it alone ... I could probably get it to work somehow, but i would like to do it the right way. Any help/scripts/scriplets would be much appreciated ...