Forum OpenACS Development: Re: cvs woes

Collapse
9: Re: cvs woes (response to 1)
Posted by russ m on
OK... From the look of the revision numbers against the tags in that "cvs log" output I think you may be running your development sources off the vendor branch itself rather than off the CVS trunk... I'm assuming that "OACS-initial-install", "OACS-4-6-1" and "OACS-4-6-3" are tags specified when you've done imports, and that the rest of them are tags you've applied to your development sources? (revision numbers on the trunk have a single dot, and every branch you are away from the trunk gets another 2 dots in the revision number - diagram here). If this is the case then what I said before about fixing it up won't (I think) work since the vendor branch and your development head are the same thing. Perhaps it'd be easier to just recover from backup...
Collapse
10: Re: cvs woes (response to 9)
Posted by tammy m on
Russell,

EEK! That would be awful. At least it sounds awful.

Ok, the following are tags done on vendor imports:

OACS-4-6-3: 1.1.1.1
        upgrade-4-6-1: 1.1.1.1
        initial-4-6-1: 1.1.1.1
        OACS-4-6-1: 1.1.1.1
        current: 1.1.1.1
        initial: 1.1.1.1
        OACS-initial-install: 1.1.1.1
        OpenACS: 1.1.1
And these are tags done against (what I hope) are the dev sources:
        release-2003-11-18__branch: 1.1.1.1.0.2
        release-2003-11-18__root: 1.1.1.1
The reason there are so many tags on my vendor imports is cuz I was following the docs and couldn't decide on a naming convention (yet) so I think I duplicated tags. Like the following are likely all equivalent tags for example:
        current: 1.1.1.1
        initial: 1.1.1.1
        OACS-initial-install: 1.1.1.1
I can still recover from backup if I must. The question is really then though... is there a better way I should have setup my cvs and tagging, etc? Ugh.