Forum OpenACS Development: Re: cvs woes

Collapse
16: Re: cvs woes (response to 1)
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Incidentally, "openacs" is a pretty confusing and thus bad name to pick for your own custom CVS project. There's a reason you see examples using "mysite" or whatever instead... Much clearer to pick some name suggestive of your project, "big-client-inc", "subverge-fork", "tammy-loves-openacs", whatever.

Tammy, you did not "branch from a branch", at least not in any bad way as you may fear. It is possible to branch from a branch in CVS, but I've never yet had a reason to do it, and anyway, I don't think you need to worry about that. You said you did this:

$ cd $OACS_DEV_ROOT 
$ cvs tag release-2003-11-18__root
$ cvs tag -r release-2003-11-18__root -b release-2003-11-18__branch
It's been a long time since I did much branching, but taking a quick look at my CVS notes, that looks just fine to me.

Note that your "cvs stat standard.adp" command showed that that your "release-2003-11-18__branch" tag is on rev. "1.1.1.1.2" of that file. All those digits in the rev. number might seem confusing, but it's normal, I've seen that before. All it means is that you never committed any modification to that particular file before you branched.

Technically, maybe that's "branching from the vendor branch", and way the revision numbers are constructed suggest that's really the way CVS looks at it underneath. But for that file at that point in time, the vendor branch and the Head are one and the same, just different names for the same thing. Basically, that file is currently sitting right where the two branches (the Head and the vendor branch) join. Edit that file and commit on the Head, and you'll see all future branches starting from rev. 1.3 or whatever rather than 1.1.1 like they do now. Nothing to worry about there.

Collapse
21: Re: cvs woes (response to 16)
Posted by tammy m on
Hi again,

Incidentally, "openacs" is a pretty confusing and thus bad name to pick for your own custom CVS project. There's a reason you see examples using "mysite" or whatever instead... Much clearer to pick some name suggestive of your project, "big-client-inc", "subverge-fork", "tammy-loves-openacs", whatever.

Yeah I agree my choice of names for my cvs project is not so good. I did this from some sample docs when I was just toying with the idea of using OACS and then of course, it became a reality and it never got changed. It is annoying and not informative. But I don't have the courage to try and rename my cvs project after this fiasco! ;(

And I'm really glad it sounds like the consensus is that my vendor and release branches are ok. I read a lot of Fogel last night and I was thinking they might be too. Yay.

Thanks a ton for all the help and patience guys. And Russell, no worries, you got me thinking and made me brush up on my cvs which I clearly needed to. And I am also quite good at making things much more complicated than they need to be. I appreciated the companionship on my latest venture down that path;)