Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Who stole place:: ??

Collapse
2: Re: Who stole place:: ?? (response to 1)
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Alfred, I haven't looked into it personally, but I think it's more than just the place:: functions (I believe those have been moved to /obsolete-packages, by the way).

I think if I needed an address-book, I'd build it on top of itu-telecom, ref-addresses (or something like that), and organizations.

Collapse
3: Re: Who stole place:: ?? (response to 2)
Posted by Alfred Werner on
I don't need an address book :)

The question came up if address-book was any good, so I installed it to see if it was the same-old same-old that was implemented several years ago and has always been looked at as having limited functionality.

When I saw that the first thing you have to do - ADD Contact - bombs with an error to a call to place::something_or_other I went looking through ALL the openacs packages in HEAD including contrib and obsolete - it's not anywhere.

I'm assuming it existed at one time.

It seems that if a package is in the main repository it should work, regardless of whether people think it's great - it sucks, or whatever.

There are two solutions - either just move address-book to obsolete-packages or somebody fess up that they stole place:: !!! :)

A similar situation exists with CMS - it relies on acs-workflow - which has been moved to obsolete-packages. I personally, when trying to look at CMS thought it meant workflow - which is a new package. The solution there is easier, just symlink from under packages to ../contrib/obsolete-packages/acs-workflow and at least you can install and not get errors ...

Collapse
4: Re: Who stole place:: ?? (response to 3)
Posted by Jeff Davis on
places was cvs removed by Don on August 19th, 2001. You could check out places as of the 18th from CVS and see if you can make address book work with it and if you think it's worth resurecting but I think the short answer is probably no. (the code is in the module packages/places).