Well, I have my OpenACS system running and I can't tell you how happy
I 'am. Only one problem JAVA!!!! I have commented out the java
references in the nsd.tcl file and so far everything works. Could
someone please tell me what is required to get java running with
openAcs and Aolserver.

Thanks in Advance

Mark

Collapse
2: Response to java problems (response to 1)
Posted by Dan Wickstrom on
Currently you don't need java unless you plan on using webmail.  If you want to try it, get the nsjava aolserver module from http://nsjava.sourceforge.net and install it.  Note which jdk's have been tested.  Some of them like sun's jdk on linux are totally broken for jni work.  After setting up nsjava follow the webmail installation intructions in the webmail.html file.  You can ignore any references to oracle and sqlj.  If run into any problems let me know.
Collapse
3: Response to java problems (response to 1)
Posted by mark rohn on
Next question, what is webmail and what does it do?

Thanks
Mark

Collapse
4: Response to java problems (response to 1)
Posted by Dan Wickstrom on
From a users point of view its an email client that uses a webbrowser front-end.  If you want more detail,you can look in .../doc/webmail.html in the openacs distribution.
Collapse
5: Response to java problems (response to 1)
Posted by Li-fan Chen on
Webmail is like hotmail. You run Qmail. You arrange a way for the mail to get out and back in to your box over your ISP's pipe. You provide a website. You provide a database. The database has helper scripts that take incoming mail from Qmail and stuff them into the RDBMS (or mail boxes and spools in the flat file system). Now you need a webserver too. The webserver has a web site.. with scripts calling into the RDBMS or mail spool.. it will fetch emails and allow web visitors to see their mail. Authentical (logins screen) will help the scripts figure out if visitors have the rights to see the email and which mail box to check in. It's that simple.

I talk too much.

If you are evil like me, and have occationally stray from the flock by wondering what it would be like to strip the RDBMS out of th equation--you could run IMP at www.horde.org/imp.. but the problem with that wonderful solutions is: 1) You don't get to use an RDBMS; 2) It's not even AOLserver!!??