Forum OpenACS Development: ad_form vs. template::form vs. roll your own

Two queries:

I'm working on a package where I cannot get ad_form to render the page in a way that makes sense.  Simply put, I want the radio buttons to go across the page wrapped with some HTML to make the presentation more intuitive to the user.

I looked at template::form, and while it does allow more overall control, I still end up with a form that I cannot render as much as I would like.

If I roll my own, I can get the page to look exactly how I want, but, I lose out on some of the strengths of using the built in methods.

Any suggestions?

I run into another issue that I don't know quite how to handle.

I have 15 rows of data in Postgres, but again, for user aesthetics, I cannot figure out how to make this work using ad_form or template::form.

Basically I pull the data using a multirow, but, I want each line to be its own 'form'.  I don't care if I have 15 submit buttons to allow a change and it calls one form, or if I have 15 forms.  A simple diagram is here.

[select pulldown] ___________________    [save] [Delete]

The obvious benefit to having it be one form is that changes on multiple records aren't lost when they hit save, but how do I get ad_form to output and handle 15 rows from SQL? or is this more a job for template::form?

Thanks.

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
Why don't you just change the template in acs-templating/resources?
I have a complete CSS version I use for all my forms and then you can change layout anyway you want.
Collapse
Posted by Chris Davies on
Can I change the template on one form only?
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Yes, you can, just create a new one that does what you want then reference it in the formtemplate tag.

Or ... you can create the form directly using the various form tags.  This is a roll-your-own approach to the problem, but within the form template system.

Both work with either ad_form or the generally more awkward form::template stuff.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
It is easy enough to build a single form with multiple rows as you describe.  Just use the -extend form of ad_form to add each select widget for the rows as you step through them.
Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
Creating your own layout within the templating system as Don said works like this:

<formtemplate id="myform">
some html stuff ...<br><br><br>
<formwidget id="mywidget1" size="20" ...>
</formtemplate>

As soon as the contents of the formtemplate tag are not empty it will use those to render the form instead of rendering it automatically.

Collapse
Posted by Chris Davies on
That was the piece I was missing.

I had done that, but wasn't reading the error message in the logs correctly.

formbutton:ok  :)

I was missing the :ok on that widget.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
You can look at the add-edit form from project-manager as an example of this. It has a lot of extraneous hacking in it too, so that might confuse, though. But if you look at the .adp page, that shows the important part.