Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Bazaar for packages and ideas, pre-TIP discussion

Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
I would like to add existing open source bounty projects to the ideas of this bazar; for example:

The idea of open international collaboration and funding may be included when trying to obtain EU funding or while developing a .LRN consortium:

Multiple project ideas for OpenACS/.LRN have been proposed, so ideas are not our problem:

We may need the groupware functionality of OpenACS to restrict bounties to certain users.
Actually, this might be a good example to show what can be done with OpenACS groupware.

And last but certainly not least, I see talented developers looking for work (and/or willing to put time in the bazar). So they are available.
However, next to the commitment of some very talented coders, I am pretty sure that funding has been a major factor that allowed .LRN to develop as fast as it does. Funding defeats some of the presumed open source myths. As I see it, this bazar should become an incentive for talented open source developers to commit to OpenACS (instead of one of the many other open source projects they can commit to).

Malte are you still planning to TIP this? I realize that your proposal is somewhat different (work is offered to buy as opposed to work is offered to collect) but the two may work together well.

Frank are you willing to share you're thoughts on this? Do your ideas fit in?

(There are other ways to implement this - rentacoder or emoonlighter - but some are patented :) )