Forum OpenACS Q&A: New blurb for the home page

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on

New text

• OpenACS is an open-source platform for building web sites. Standard features include user groups, multiple language support, Calendar, Edit This Page (a CMS), Event Management, File Storage, Forums, Full Text Search, Photo Album, Weblogger with RSS, and over a hundred other packages.
  • The OpenACS/.LRN bundle of packages provides course management tools and a university-oriented interface.
  • OpenACS includes APIs for categorization, comments, content management, ecommerce, email, HTML forms and tables, internationalization, permissions, version control, workflows, and automated regression testing.
Some comparables:

"This is the development and community site for Plone, a user friendly and powerful Content Management System." (plone,

"Hi folks - happy new year. Safely returned to work after a great week of snowboarding I find several messages regarding extensions such as "newloginbox" ver 2.0.0. The most recent release of this extension depends on TYPO3 3.6.0RC1 - and unfortunately the Extension Repository provides no means to either inform you or filter the possible downloads based on TYPO3 versions. This insufficiency has been on the ToDo list to fix for a while but it will still take some time. " (typo3)

"Coordinate teams and projects online, both inside and outside of your enterprise, using shared workspaces that integrate with familiar business productivity tools. Learn more about Vignette's new collaboration solutions
Right content, right place, right time. Whether it's your employee portal, customer extranet or public Web presence, Vignette provides the world-class solutions you need to rapidly build, manage and deploy Web applications across your enterprise and around the globe." (Vignette)

"Tomcat is the servlet container that is used in the official Reference Implementation for the Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages technologies. The Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages specifications are developed by Sun under the Java Community Process.
Tomcat is developed in an open and participatory environment and released under the Apache Software License. Tomcat is intended to be a collaboration of the best-of-breed developers from around the world. We invite you to participate in this open development project. To learn more about getting involved, click here." (Tomcat)

"The Apache Software Foundation provides support for the Apache community of open-source software projects. The Apache projects are characterized by a collaborative, consensus based development process, an open and pragmatic software license, and a desire to create high quality software that leads the way in its field. We consider ourselves not simply a group of projects sharing a server, but rather a community of developers and users." (Apache)

" Foundation & Tools: WebSphere Application Server
IBM WebSphere Application Server is a high-performance and extremely scalable transaction engine for dynamic e-business applications. The Open Services Infrastructure allows companies to deploy a core operating environment that works as a reliable foundation capable of handling high volume secure transactions and Web services. WebSphere continues the evolution to a single Web services-enabled, Java™ 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) application server and development environment that addresses the essential elements needed for an on demand operating environment. With WebSphere Application Server V5.1, WebSphere demonstrates its continued commitment to the realization of the IBM e-business on demand vision with new platforms and important functional enhancements, including support for SDK 1.4." (WebSphere)

Collapse
Posted by Chris Davies on
This is something I put some time into a while back, and while I never finished it, I think it is something that needs to be done.

When I first looked at the front page of OpenACS, I dismissed it from consideration.  After working through a number of CMS solutions and not finding one that did what I wanted, it became time to select a toolkit that had a framework that wasn't too restrictive.

The one toolkit that was the closest was Midgard.  For reasons that I won't go into, there were reasons I reopened my bookmarks and started to look at OpenACS again.

Without feeling pressured to put a new description in quickly, I might suggest that we take some time to put the features together in a list that made each of us choose OpenACS, then, combine those terms and features into an elevator pitch followed by a more descriptive blurb.

My target market is probably different than yours, so of course the features and strengths I see are certainly going to be different.  However, I think we can write a compelling  statement that will lead casual browsers in to look more deeply at OpenACS's capabilities.

So, with that in mind, I think the way to market OpenACS is to mention the packages that would be put together to make a generic system for a client installation.  Allow someone to picture in their mind how the pieces fit together and create a solution.  Then, throw in the fact that you can plug in whatever packages that are needed to come up with a total solution.  If there isn't a package that does what you need, utilizing the defined framework/API to create a solution is much easier than writing a solution from scratch. (Point well learned this weekend)

There has also been mention on IRC and in these forums that people don't like the fact that this doesn't run under Apache for this or that reason,  or that it is in TCL and not PHP, etc.  Dispel the rumors or myths.  I wouldn't specifically go after the bad parts of Apache, but I would of course illustrate the strengths.

This is just off the top of my head and a very broad stroke:

AOLServer was chosen because it has the scalability and built in parsing ability, etc, etc.  AOLServer is not a forking server, allowing it to scale much easier, etc.  AOLServer handles the traffic of many of the busiest sites on the internet.

Oracle was originally chosen, and later PostgreSQL because they are ACID-compliant databases with established track records of reliability and rock-solid performance.

OpenACS is a framework that runs on top of AOLServer and Oracle or PostgreSQL which allows you to pick and choose the toolkit components to develop a site solution for your business/school.  The OpenACS package library includes packages to handle Press Releases, News Articles,  Forum Capabilities with Notifications, Calendaring and Events management, etc. etc.  Pick from many other packages to enable your site with a Bookshelf or Photo Album, etc.

A testament to the ability to use the OpenACS framework is the .LRN project which enables Universities and teaching institutions to support course management, e-learning, departmental and schoolwide collaboration, etc, etc.

OpenACS has the tools and capabilities to scale with your organization with its ever growing repository of additional packages.  OpenACS is open source and operates with PostgreSQL, reducing your TCO.  Because the framework encompasses many standard methods, developers can use defined APIs to handle tasks, dramatically reducing time to market on enhancements. (after a very very steep learning curve haha)

Just some thoughts.

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I talked with Dave about this about a week ago. I agree strongly with both of you.

What's most missing from the OpenACS main page is WHY THE HECK WOULD I WANT TO USE OPENACS? (sorry for the caps)

I've written up some preliminary stuff on this at:

http://rubick.com:8002/openacs/book/why_openacs

(registration required)

Dave said I could put up a preliminary "Why OpenACS" page and we could link to it prominently. I think that's a good idea (and others could edit that as they like). But I agree with Chris and Joel that the front page could be substantially improved.

Collapse
I think that's the key, and I feel stupid now for not realizing it.  Our first paragraph has to describe why to use OpenACS IN TERMS OF WHAT IT DOES THAT OTHER PACKAGES DON'T.  The basic test here is to come up with something that is a good reason and could not be on other sites.  For instance, "scalable" and "platform" and "open source" are all good and do differentiate OpenACS, but even all together they're not unique.  What is unique and positive about OpenACS?
Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
what is unique and positive about OpenACS?
  • Large, active and open community
  • One CORE with easy access to new modules (in contrast to PHP based solutions).
  • Sophisticated API for quick development of websites (formbuilder, database and permissions)
  • Many packages ready to go (read: Click install and it will download everything for you).
  • Prepackaged vertical solutions for specific markets: .LRN, .WRK
  • Proven to work reliably in enterprise scale websites.
  • Large diversity of uses (E-Commerce, CMS, Intranet, Courseware Management).
  • Community centric with a focus on easy interaction between users (RSS, Notifications, Jabber, Forums, Blogging, ETP (Homepages), File-Sharing, Group Calendar).
That's just what jumped my head at the moment. But for things like that it is better to brainstorm with more people in the room.
Collapse
Posted by Mark Aufflick on
I think you actually need both. I nice short para about what openacs does (I LOVE the paragraph from the vignette home page), followed by a "what makes us different". There's no point saying how great the CR is if the reader doesn't even know that you can run forums and a blog with it!

This is now my third post this morning with content along the lines of "we need to get openacs.org up to date and great" to promo openacs.

It looks ok, it works ok, people will think that the framework is ok. People don't download something that's ok, they download something that's GREAT.

I know it's been discussed before, but I think we need an openacs.org team, and we need scheduled updates linked to the core code updates - both of the code and the look and feel.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Mark,

Yes, we definitely need and OpenACS.org team. Volunteers welcome. The way the site got updated from 3.x to 4.6 was by a group of volunteers who decided to just do it.

For this type of team, someone to organize folks and give them tasks is a great idea. Any volunteers?

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Dave, I think you and Joel are the most experienced in this endeavour so it would be great if you two could lead the effort. I'm willing to help out if roughly told what to do and given the permissions to do it. For anyone interested, there already is a weblog maintained by Joel at http://angora.furfly.net:8000/weblogger/.
Collapse
Posted by Mark Aufflick on
I'm in for a penny. We should start a new thread to talk about it - for instance we need to decide on the core approach before anything else. Then we should be able to divvy up the work amongst people.
Collapse
The core approach proposed is outlined at http://angora.furfly.net:8000/weblogger/one-entry?entry%5fid=589