Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: New blurb for the home page

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
I think that's the key, and I feel stupid now for not realizing it.  Our first paragraph has to describe why to use OpenACS IN TERMS OF WHAT IT DOES THAT OTHER PACKAGES DON'T.  The basic test here is to come up with something that is a good reason and could not be on other sites.  For instance, "scalable" and "platform" and "open source" are all good and do differentiate OpenACS, but even all together they're not unique.  What is unique and positive about OpenACS?
Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
what is unique and positive about OpenACS?
  • Large, active and open community
  • One CORE with easy access to new modules (in contrast to PHP based solutions).
  • Sophisticated API for quick development of websites (formbuilder, database and permissions)
  • Many packages ready to go (read: Click install and it will download everything for you).
  • Prepackaged vertical solutions for specific markets: .LRN, .WRK
  • Proven to work reliably in enterprise scale websites.
  • Large diversity of uses (E-Commerce, CMS, Intranet, Courseware Management).
  • Community centric with a focus on easy interaction between users (RSS, Notifications, Jabber, Forums, Blogging, ETP (Homepages), File-Sharing, Group Calendar).
That's just what jumped my head at the moment. But for things like that it is better to brainstorm with more people in the room.