Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Learning ACS through OpenACS?

Collapse
Posted by Todd Gillespie on
Todd -- great job with the pset1 port. Have you been working on otherpsets as well?

Matter of fact I have, but they've been shelved for the last few weeks whilst my free time converged to zero. Also, I've been writing the ports with notes drawn up while I did the psets on Postgres; and learning OpenACS has been a rather non-linear curricula. But I should kick out 2 soon, and 5 not long after that. I didn't see much in 3 that requires changes (but maybe a few words should be said about Postgres specifics on the audit trail, namely VACUUM & CLUSTER). Pset4 has a few odd things, and pset 5 is a bitch b/c of CONNECT BY.

Part of my impetus to finish the assimilation from my notes was that after giving my little web/DB talk at the local (Austin) LUG, I tried getting a sub-group going to teach/learn these things (curricula tuned towards aD's boot camp, but stretched out over a few months of rare meetings); about a dozen people signed up, but then things degenerated into 'my-favorite-language' -- shimattana kodomo! (damnable children)

Anyway, glad you like the first ported pset. These are beta - tell me if my writing/editing sucks.