Forum OpenACS Q&A: howto approach diagnosing form submission "hanging" indefinitely

For example, on ecommerce/www/admin/orders/items-return-3 a "confirmation" form presents refund info, where user clicks button "Complete the refund" to initiate a refund.

On a few occasions, clicking "Complete the refund" button results with browser waiting indefinitely (in Mozilla, the status window shows "Waiting for servername..." and the icon appears as a watch). Indefinitely means greater than 1 hour.

The error log does not indicate anything out of the ordinary. And tests of refund status from a separate browser seems to indicate that the refund process was completed.

What kind of things might cause the submission to hang like that?

Since you say the refund process was completed, I assume you can see the request in the access log?

You might want to ask on the AOLserver list, because I suspect this has nothing to do with OpenACS per se but rather AOLserver->browser communication.

I know that the socket dropping during a long file transmission to a user will cause AOLserver to log a mysterious error.

I don't know offhand if a socket drop logs an error for normal ns_return type operations though.  It's not unknown for dial-up connections in particular to get interrupted by, say, someone picking up a phone hooked up to the same line in a home.

But this is the type of problem I suspect.  Is this on a production system or development system?  Is there some sort of pattern to the IPs you see in the access log that fail?

Since you say the refund process was completed, I assume you can see the request in the access log?

for items-return-3 yes, for items-return-4 no.. (checked service0-error.log and service0.log). Aha. Time to become a human tcl interpreter.

Going through the inserts step by step, it looks like "insert_refund_transaction" did not insert a refund for subsequent processing by the gateway. So must have failed silently at it or just before.

Interesting (to me anyway) there is no ec_tax table (Oregon doesn't have sales tax) yet no errors from references to it. Is that normal behavior?

ps. thanks for the suggestions, am keeping them for future reference.

accidently ommitted file reference:

ecommerce/www/admin/orders/items-return-4.tcl

Server is running openacs4.6.3, aolserver3.4.2oacs1, postgresql 7.2.4, freebsd 4.9stable

This server is not busy (yet), but in each case, multiple ecommerce/admin windows were open in various states of order processing. Could references to indexes on foreign key columns[1] give this symptom?

In any case, what would be a/the preferred way to resolving the index issue? I want to avoid problems before they occur. Recreating the tables in a fresh install (using edited create.xql files or whatever) is fine by me.

1. https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=76563