Forum OpenACS Q&A: nsthread error (invalid key)

Collapse
Posted by Peter Abrahamsen on
Hi,

I had an installation pretty much going. Then some dumb feature in
vim got me down (replaced all occurances of 'web' (not just '/web')
with 'opt/acs'). I think I fixed those problems, but I still get this
one, which seems to prevent nsd from booting:

[03/Sep/2000:23:02:38][4035.1024][-main-] Notice: nsd.tcl:
sourcing: /opt/acs/nod.to/tcl/index.tcl

nsthread(4035) error: Ns_Tls: invalid key: 0: should be between 1 and

note that the first line might not have anything to do with it; it
just shows where nsd is when I get the error.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

Peter

Collapse
Posted by Janne Blomqvist on
This is somewhat offtopic, but I had a similar problem when I first tried to install openacs 3.2.2b3. After reading the FHS, I decided that having a /web directory would be a Really Bad Thing(TM). So I changed the occurences of /web to /var/web and I was happy. At least until I discovered a tcl script in where /web was hardcoded. So I changed my config files again and made a symlink from /web to /var/web and I have been happy everafter...uh BTW, /var/web doesn't seem to be recommended by the FHS either. Does anybody with more guru points than I know if the FHS has some 'official' view of where websites should reside? This of course isn't acs-specific. Red Hat installs apache stuff under /home/httpd and debian in /var/web... Anyway, my point was: It's easiest to symlink /web to wherever you installed acs. You don't have to mess so much with config files, don't have to worry about hardcoded /web somewhere and it's easy to remember and short (easier to type 'cd /web/blahblah' than 'cd /usr/local/packages/aolserver_3.0/servers/blahblah' or whatever).
Disclaimer: I don't know if /web really was hardcoded in a tcl script or if I forgot to change some line in nsd.tcl or the acs parameters tcl file.
And finally, ViM doesn't have any 'dumb features'! :) Compared to say, Emacs... Ok, not trying to start a flame war here. Both have their merits, vim is small, quick and doesn't require you to do Ctrl-Meta-Esc-[arbitrarily-long-and-impossible-to-remember-keystroke-sequence] finger stretching type of things, while emacs has all kinds of nifty features.. You probably should have escaped the / in /web in you substitution, like /web..
Collapse
Posted by Janne Blomqvist on
Hmmm... looks like acs decided to escape my backslash... The last line should read something like:
You should have used /web instead of /web in your substitution.
If this is still messed up: "You should have used [backslash][slash]web instead of [slash]web in your substitution"
Collapse
Posted by Adam Farkas on
Janne, While symlinking is a good idea (short-term, especially if it stops scripts from breaking), i'm glad that the whole RPM issue has got the community thinking about standard locations where every directory should be placed. It'll cut down on the confusion/problems long-term.

Perhaps we should have a separate thread where the community could come to some consensus over standard file locations?

When developing the "hitchhiker's guide to ACS" at ArsDigita, we made some executive decisions about where files _should_ be, from that moment on. Since the majority of people installing ACS for the first time use those docs, it's made troubleshooting installations a _much_ easier job, at the expense of some flexibility.

Is anyone interested in tackling this problem once-and-for-all?

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
Peter, I have just seen the error you're talking about. You need to upgrade your AOLserver. AOLserver 3.2ad12 fixes this. Later versions (3.3) probably do, too, but I haven't tested those yet.