Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to nsthread error (invalid key)

Collapse
Posted by Janne Blomqvist on
This is somewhat offtopic, but I had a similar problem when I first tried to install openacs 3.2.2b3. After reading the FHS, I decided that having a /web directory would be a Really Bad Thing(TM). So I changed the occurences of /web to /var/web and I was happy. At least until I discovered a tcl script in where /web was hardcoded. So I changed my config files again and made a symlink from /web to /var/web and I have been happy everafter...uh BTW, /var/web doesn't seem to be recommended by the FHS either. Does anybody with more guru points than I know if the FHS has some 'official' view of where websites should reside? This of course isn't acs-specific. Red Hat installs apache stuff under /home/httpd and debian in /var/web... Anyway, my point was: It's easiest to symlink /web to wherever you installed acs. You don't have to mess so much with config files, don't have to worry about hardcoded /web somewhere and it's easy to remember and short (easier to type 'cd /web/blahblah' than 'cd /usr/local/packages/aolserver_3.0/servers/blahblah' or whatever).
Disclaimer: I don't know if /web really was hardcoded in a tcl script or if I forgot to change some line in nsd.tcl or the acs parameters tcl file.
And finally, ViM doesn't have any 'dumb features'! :) Compared to say, Emacs... Ok, not trying to start a flame war here. Both have their merits, vim is small, quick and doesn't require you to do Ctrl-Meta-Esc-[arbitrarily-long-and-impossible-to-remember-keystroke-sequence] finger stretching type of things, while emacs has all kinds of nifty features.. You probably should have escaped the / in /web in you substitution, like /web..