Forum OpenACS Q&A: Created OpenACS community at orkut

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
I created an OpenACS community over at http://orkut.com.

Come join here, and let's see what we can use it for 😉

http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=11630

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
Lars,

you'll have to invite us in order to join. 😉

/Bart

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Hm. Interesting. When I signed up, you didn't.

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Probably a marketing technique. Exclusiveness and membership can drive exposure. Notice how some restaurants, clubs and establishments thrive when there's a line out front, no (or very small) sign (and sometimes rumors of abusive management, but great food or celebrity spectators etc). Some places pay people to stand in line to start the whole thing...
Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
At least they have a beautiful error message:

========

Bad, bad server. No donut for you

We're sorry, but the orkut.com server has acted out in an unexpected way.

Hopefully it will return to its usual helpful self if you give it another chance. If it still refuses to play nice, please send an email to mailto:help+error@orkut.com and help us modify this poor behavior.

We apologize for the inconvenience and our server's lack of consideration for others.

========

Considerably nicer than our standard error page.

Collapse
Posted by James Harris on
I've tried signing up repeatedly and received that error a few times.  I've also received "Username already taken" MANY times, even when using ten random characters.

Sometimes the same username gets rejected as already in use and sometimes it gets past (only to get the server error).

Seems like they have a few problems...  Could it be related to the fact they are using .aspx pages? </microsoft dig>

Collapse
Posted by James Harris on
The signup process is working now.
Collapse
Posted by Andrei Popov on
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Well, the legal thinking behind such TOS agreements is simple: they have no control over where your posts show up (google, printed in the NYTimes, etc) so have you assign all rights so you can't sue them because, say, a business article in the NYTimes quotes you as saying your boss sucks or whatever.

The paranoid assume that the motive is to sift through the content andn to use it as the basis of a multi-billion dollar hollywood smash hit without compensating the user/authors of the site content :)

They'll probably remove it, just like MS and others have done,  if enough people scream but I have no doubt the motivation is a legal cover-thy-ass-from-all-threats-real-and-imaged frame of mind, not some sneaky and clever way to get you and I to add commercially valuable content for free.

Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
Is there a way to join without an invitation?  I couldn't find it if there is one.
Collapse
Posted by Chris Rasch on
Hi Janine,

No, you need an invite.  I just sent one to you.

Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
Thanks, Chris!  I forgot about this thread - no wonder I've been getting so many invitations! And here I thought I was just reallly popular.... :))))
Collapse
Posted by MaineBob OConnor on
Hey is there anything at Orkut for us to learn and use here at Open ACS?

I'd love to get an invite... hint hint 😊

Related and off subject:
AND I am the "leading man" at another online community
that I Really want to rebuild and move to OpenACS:

www.powerfulintentions.com

It's currently run in a Java flavor (tomcat mysql).

-Bob O
http://bob.powerfulintentions.com

Collapse
Posted by ashok ponnusamy on
Can you Give Me invitite
Collapse
Posted by Bidi Zook on
I would like to join orkut, but how can I can get invited?
Collapse
Posted by gina lewis on
hi could you send me an invite please i've wanted to join orkut since a long time but unfortunatly don't know anyone there mailto:xx.a.static.lullaby.xx@gmail.com
Collapse
Posted by Chris Johnson on
Hey, any chance I could get an invite as well? Always interested in all things google.

Thanks.

Collapse
Posted by David Lee on
Hi, can I get an invite too?

mailto:davidtlee@gmail.com

Collapse
Posted by Ciaran De Buitlear on
Can I get an invite so I can have a look?
Collapse
Posted by norvii norvii on
Could someone please invite me to orkut..
Collapse
21: THIS IS NOT USED!!!!! (response to 1)
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
NO BODY USES THAT ORKUT THING, AFAIK.
Collapse
Posted by Iuri Sampaio on
I agree, but just let the comunity there. It doesn't hurt anyway =) hehehehe
Besides, we can see what are the good tools and fuctionalites orkit is oferring
Collapse
Posted by R G on
I hear osama uses the site i would like an invite so i can bash him and to be a member of a good new community
Collapse
Posted by sunil choudhary on
Can we delete a community which is created by me but i have deleted my profile by mistake and all the communities are still exist... can any oe help me to delete all of my communities....