Forum OpenACS Development: nsoracle driver changing

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

Someone on the AOLserver list is proposing API changes to the nsoracle driver. Here's the comment:

As a side note, how many people use the nsoracle driver?  I ask because
pretty soon after we release 2.7 I'm going to release a 2.8 alpha with
some significant changes and improvements.  I need people that can help
test it.  I'd also like to know what the damage would be if I cleaned
up the API a little.

- Jeremy

I thought this driver was maintained by the OpenACS community, so someone might want to speak up, if needed.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I hadn't seen that.  Jeff may want to pipe up as he's been sorta maintaining it.

If he or someone else doesn't soon I'll jump in ... obviously we don't want backwards compatibility to break, we don't want 8i support to break, and we don't want PG driver compatibility to break.

Other than that we can be flexible :)

Collapse
Posted by Jeremy Collins on
If the OpenACS community is supporting this driver it doesn't show.  Is there a version in CVS outside of AOLserver's sourceforge CVS?

And I only asked about API changes because I want to know what people would think.  I'm also not talking gratuitous changes.  So anyway its good to know what effect it might have.  Obviously I'll avoid it but there are some things I'd like to see changed.  Nothing that has to happen though.

Anyway, my initial changes do not break compatibility but instead add some very cool stuff.  I've committed the first cut of the 2.8 driver to CVS.  It should be available via anonymous cvs soon.

HINT:  Read doc/plsql.txt then copy the plsql.tcl file somewhere it'll get sourced and give it a whirl.  I think you'll be impressed.  I hope anyway.

Enjoy it.  Its awesome.  It doesn't break backward compatibility. =)

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
Jeremy, those files do not seem to be in the doc directory.

As for supporting the driver, I think I have made the majority of the substantive changes in the last couple years (and tracked down and applied any patches I could find) but I don't really actively work on it.

I think the driver could be substantially cleaned up internally, and if I would look for anything it would be to implement some of the higher level tcl api we use in openacs natively in the driver but it's not something I am likely to do anything about.

Collapse
Posted by Jeremy Collins on
Not sure why you don't see the files but they are there.  Perhaps you were using anonymous cvs which is delayed on SF?

And I agree internally the driver needs work.  I've started to clean that up by moving each Tcl subcommand to a separate function and using the Tcl_Obj API.

- Jeremy