Forum .LRN Q&A: dotLRN file-storage Problem

Collapse
Posted by Suresh Ankolekar on
I have a problem accessing the files from the standard folders  (Assignment, Handouts, Projects, Exams)  from the course file-storage. The course-admin is able to upload the files, but gets following error message on an attempt to view/access them.

"Content Item Not Found
The requested item is not available for viewing. The item is either not available on this server or it is not in a publishable state Unpublished items can be viewed via the CMS interface if the CMS package is installed."

Other non-admin users and even the site-admin have the same problem. There is no problem, however, accessing files from the course Public Folder and the top level of the course file-storage.

Installation Info:
dotLRN 2.00b4
OpenACS 5.00
Postgresql 7.3.4
SuSE Linux 9.0

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Hi Suresh,

I've been having some problems with file storage, though the error is file not found so it maybe a different problem.

What version of file storage are you running?

Have you ever upgraded your system or is this same version you have always been running? (I am seeing problems on a site I upgraded but not on a site that has always been 5.0)

Do you have wimpy point installed? (The site I'm having problems on has wimpy point and it seems to be trying to use a wimpy point template)

Collapse
Hi Caroline,

Thanks for the response.

Additional info:
1. The file storage version is 5.00b4.
2. I have not upgraded the original dotlrn 2.00b4 except for a backup->re-install(postgresql and aolserver)->restore(dotlrn)  exercise.
3. Even a new installation has the same problem.
4. I do not have wimpy point installed.

Significantly, the problem is only with the standard folders in the file-storage.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Are the files you are viewing (as opposed to downloading) titled with the filename? If not the view feature will not work.
Collapse
Even the files titled with filenames have the same problem. Interestingly, if a newer version of the file is uploaded, then the previous version becomes accessible, while the newer version is inaccessible. If the newer version is deleted, then the previous version again becomes inaccessible. So, the problem seems to be with the 'live' version.
Collapse
Clicking on the tiny globe icon before the title, instead of the title itself, works. The two hyperlinks differ too. The icon hyperlink that works uses 'download' instead of the 'view'. Also, the pretty name identifier for the default folder, /<span>#</span>dotlrn-fs.Handouts#/ remains unresolved in the problematic title hyperlink.
Collapse
Posted by Anupriya Ankolekar on
I'd been having the same problem. I posted a simple fix that works for me here. It just cleans up the file url by using the url encoding of '#'.
Collapse
Posted by Bruce Spear on
One of my instructors on my dotlrn 2.0.3 instance would like to allow his students to upload files into the Shared Files folder of File Storage so all could then access them.
I see in the Inherited Permissions: "Members of New Osi Class, write", which I thought means the members could add their files. But they are unable to do this.
Plan "B" is a subgroup where all have admin rights, but my client says this is one remove from the class site, where he wants them to be able to add their stuff.
Plan "C" is for them to submit things in the Homework portlet, but then he'd have to download and upload, and I'm trying to spare him this work -- though if there were a "move" option with the option to move to file storage that would be nice.
So my question is: might someone explain to me how we might get member permissions on the shared files, how this is supposed to work, if this is a bug, or what?
Thanks!
Bruce
Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
....  have a problem accessing the files from the standard folders  (Assignment, Handouts, Projects, Exams)  from the course file-storage. The course-admin is able to upload the files, but gets following error message on an attempt to view/access them.

This problem has been analyzed by Lars and Mathias  on Sunday when we were in Heidelberg. Unfortunately I havn't followed the outcome of the deabte. Maybe Lars can comment.

Cheers
Ben