Forum .LRN Q&A: date terms & classes

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Hello,

The actual behavior of .LRN is that it only let you create classes, for terms that has not started yet.

(this is the related bug/fix to only allow you create terms for the future only in order to be compliant with the actual .LRN behavior https://openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs/bug?bug%5fnumber=1531)

What we have found, that is quite often to see .LRN admins trying to create classes for already started terms, and actually create terms that has already started. That's quite convenient for new users, those who are adopting .LRN and for the long run administration.

Also is quite confusing from the end user perspective and might be inconvenient for several real scenarios.

Basically we propose to change the behavior to:
1. Allow the creation of terms that already started (not already finished)
2. Allow the creation of classes related to any "active" (not finished but can be alredy started) term.

What others think? if we change this, probably will go into HEAD and we are happy to do the work during this week.

Collapse
Posted by Deirdre Kane on
Rocael,

I think SloanSpace has different behavior than you describe as your problem.  I can create classes during an active term and before the term starts and I can create terms using a start date that is prior to the current date.

DeeDee

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Hi Rocael,

Only offering terms that are current or in the future sounds like the right behavior for the web UI but please don't make it a database constraint.

I recently did a dotLRN site that involved porting enrollment data from 10 years of classes but I did this through a bulk upload.

Thanks
Caroline

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Hello Dee,

<blockquote> I think SloanSpace has different behavior than you describe as your problem.  I
can create classes during an active term and before the term starts and I can
create terms using a start date that is prior to the current date.

</blockquote>

Well, basically, we want the SloanSpace behavior for .LRN.
Right now .LRN 2.0 doesn't allow you to create classes during an active term nor a term with a prior date to the current date, and what we want is to make it possible to do that ;o)

Caroline,
no, no DB constraints! every new adopter might need to import data  =)