Forum OpenACS Q&A: ad_return_error breaks in IE 5.0

Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
IE "cleverly" displays all HTTP 500 pages as "unable to display
page."  Nothing else is shown.  Obviously this is Very Bad.

One workaround: change 500 in ad_return_error (in ad-
defs.tcl.preload) to 200.

(Would've posted this to the SDM but I didn't see any "tcl" category.)

Posted by Don Baccus on
This is a known problem with all versions of the ACS (and any other web site that uses return code 500 the way it is meant to be used).

You can actually turn it of in MSIE and get the error message.  I forget the exact option, though...

Also, LONG error pages are correctly passed back to the user.  Apparently, MSIE assumes a long page comes from IIS and is a "correctly formatted" error page, and doesn't need to be replaced.]

Posted by Ben Adida on
Don is right. We shouldn't fix this on the server because IE is
braindead in handling this error code. One supposedly new
feature of AOLserver 3.2: it detects IE and automagically
replaces 500 error codes with more IE-friendly data. Can anyone
confirm that this works? Haven't had time to try aolserver 3.2 just
Posted by Roberto Mello on
My AOLserver 3.2 is outputting 302s instoad of 500s even with Netscape. To test it I changed the permissions on my bboard dir and tried to access it:
roberto@brasileiro:~$ telnet 80
Connected to
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /bboard HTTP/1.1

HTTP/1.0 302 Found
Set-Cookie: ad_browser_id=4839; Path=/; Expires=Fri, 01-Jan-2010 01:00:00 GMT
Set-Cookie: ad_session_id=4840,0,in7Ed2Jh1NC5iZvccfOy4q9QnbyYC0dq,972624430; Path=/; Max-Age=86400
Set-Cookie: cs_browser_id=21422; Path=/; Expires=Fri, 01-Jan-2010 01:00:00 GMT
Set-Cookie: cs_session_id=21421,972624430; Path=/; Max-Age=3600
MIME-Version: 1.0
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 05:27:10 GMT
Server: AOLserver/3.2
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 310
Connection: close
Connection closed by foreign host.

I didn't change anything on OpenACS, so it should be outputting the error. I will to test IE tomorrow.

Posted by David Walker on

The 302 is likely being returned because you didn't send a host header in your telnet session.  If the setting (I don't recall the name of it offhand) is turned on then any request without the proper host header is redirected to the server's domain name.

Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
I'm using AS 3.2, and it returned the 500s to IE.  Maybe there is an option I needed to set, but it's not default behavior.