Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS close to its first anniversary

Hi all, According to my records, and this thread (Individual use of ACS Modules with PostgreSQL) that I started on Nov 28 1999 with replies from Ben and Don, the OpenACS project is about to complete 1 year of existence !! Congratulations to everyone !
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Wow, I'd forgotten who originally started that thread - it was you!  What good timing, it was just a few days after I'd ported over the bboard module to PG 6.5.1 in order to put it up on my PG-based website.

Even more amazing is the amount of progress PG has made in the last year.

Collapse
Posted by Adam Farkas on
All of you guys should take a bow -- the work that you've done has been remarkable.

With PG's newfound maturity, and a complete overhaul of the ACS data model with 4.0, it looks to me like OpenACS usage is poised to explode in the coming year.

Congrats to all

Collapse
Posted by Brian Mann on
I would never have gotten back into site design if not for you guys and OpenACS. Thanks for everything, and keep up the good work!
Collapse
Posted by Michael Feldstein on
There's no doubt that the OpenACS software and OpenACS community have dramatically changed my future prospects for the better. And I agree with Adam; this is just the beginning.
Collapse
6: Outsider help request (response to 1)
Posted by Aurelian POPA on
Hello team,

I try to port ACS on M$ platform .... PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS THREAD IN "Oh please no M$ again!!!".

Please tell answer me to some basic questions:

1. OpenACS is ANSI SQL 92 compliant?
2. It works with any ODBC dtaa source?
3. Is there a MS SQL ODBC driver for AOLServer for Win32 environment?

Thanks.

If the answer to this 3 questions is yes , then it means that OpenACS will work on NT/MS SQL platform.

Hope you don't mind.

Collapse
7: Outsider help request (response to 1)
Posted by Aurelian POPA on
Hello team, I try to port ACS on M$ platform .... PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS THREAD IN "Oh please no M$ again!!!". Please tell answer me to some basic questions:

Thanks. If the answer to this 3 questions is yes , then it means that OpenACS will work on NT/MS SQL platform. Hope you don't mind.
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on

Not entirely. We use some PostgreSQL-specific things, especially the stored procedures.

I don't know. I guess you could find that out. I know PostgreSQL has an ODBC driver.

MS SQL ODBC? You mean just ODBC right? I think there is. But I can't find it in the AOLserver site anymore. Anybody knows what happenned to it?
    BTW, OpenACS will work just fine on NT. Just install AOLserver and PostgreSQL and you're in game. Now if you absolutely need MS SQL server, than that's another story.