instructed, and issue the "gmake >& make.log" instruction as per
Don's code listing. I get the following message "gmake: *** No
targets specified & no makefile found. Stop."

I'm installing on an intel box running Red Hat 6.2. Have tried
finding an info or Man page for gmake to check for syntax problems
but none exist. Also checked aolserver's install pages and openacs
simple install guide, both seem to suggest that gmake is all you
should need to do. Hope that this isn't a silly question, as i say I
am very new to this. Rest of the install has gone well to date.
Thanks
Steven Baker

Collapse
Posted by Krzysztof Kowalczyk on
Is there a file named Makefile in the aolserver3_0 dir (note that name is case-sensitive)?

gmake is just another name for make (or actually, the other way around) on RedHat system so you can do man make but you'll be much better off reading the full docs: http://www.gnu.org/manual/make/html_chapter/make_toc.html

Collapse
Posted by Steven Baker on
There is no Makefile in the dir aolserver3_0, I presume that there should be??.
The contents are; bin,log,modules,nsd.tcl,servers.

Can't find a Makefile in any of the directories either?

I did try a more recent version of aolserver (3_2), which is the current release. It did have a Makefile.global file in one of it's directories but when I tried a "gmake Makefile.global" on this, it came back as "gmake: nothing to do to Makefile.global".

Collapse
Posted by Mike Slack on
Sounds like you may have downloaded a binary distribution rather than the source distribution (especially if there are binary files such as nsd in the bin directory).  In this case, you can skip make (it's done for you already), or (better yet) get the source distribution and start over.
Collapse
Posted by Krzysztof Kowalczyk on
Try gmake -f Makefile.global.

Syntax of make is:

make -f makefile_name target

If you don't specify -f option and makefile_name the default will be Makefile. target is one of the rule you specify within makefile, by default it's all.

Anyway I think Mike is right: in both cases you've downloaded a binary distribution so you don't need to compile it, it's already done. Go to the next step.

Makefile.global in 3.2 is only there as a makefile template for module writers.

Collapse
Posted by Steven Baker on
Thanks guys, Trying that now.
Collapse
Posted by Dan Wickstrom on
Makefile.global is included in all of the sub-makefiles of aolserver. Usually you edit include/Makefile.global for any of your system-specifc configurations and then type make in aolserver top-level directory. It sounds like you have a binary distro. For a source distro your top-level directory will look something like this:
1016 nsadmin@localhost:/usr/local/aolserver/aolserver3_1 >ls
ChangeLog           LICENSE.txt  doc                nscgi  nsext   nspd       nssha1  nsvhr                     scripts  tcl8.3.2
DISTRIBUTION.patch  Makefile     encoding-doc.html  nscp   nslog   nsperm     nssock  oracle-driver-2.3         tcl      thread
DISTRIBUTION.txt    README.txt   include            nsd    nsodbc  nsrewrite  nsunix  oracle-driver-2.3.tar.gz  tcl7.6   win32
1017 nsadmin@localhost:/usr/local/aolserver/aolserver3_1 >  

Typing "make install" in this directory should build and install aolserver in whatever directory is specified as the "INSTALL" directory in Makefile.global.