Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: SCORM 1.2 support

Collapse
4: Re: SCORM 1.2 support (response to 3)
Posted by Ernie Ghiglione on
<blockquote> I'm searching for a tool open source supporting SCORM 1.2
to make e-learning in our university LAN network.
</blockquote>

SCORM is a standard that encompases mainly three specification, that might (or not) be used all together. Those are: IMS Content Packaging, IMS Metadata and the AICC runtime environment (although SCORM adds some minimal extensions). As far as OpenACS goes, we have implemented the two first ones (IMS) and there are two SCORM runtime environments available: Intellum's -a javascript API- and Adam Ullman's -Java applet API).

So in short: yes, OpenACS supports SCORM 1.2. However, as I mentioned above, we are syncronizing Intellum's work with the implemention of IMS specifications I've done and shortly, we will have full support for SCORM 1.2

Are you looking into deliverying SCORM courses or just using it for packaging and tagging of learning objects?

<blockquote> - To permit the access to the player by many users
(students) I've to install .LRN on any PC or only on the
server? In this case how the users could access to the
lessons?
</blockquote>

To deliver courses online you won't need to install .LRN in each machine. The SCORM runtime environment (RTE) that is provided with the SCORM package allows students to take the course online -just using a browser. The RTE also tracks the progress of each student on a server (where .LRN resides).

<blockquote> -The teacher has the total control of the leaning course
and tracing of students activities?
</blockquote>

Quick answer: Yes. But you might find cases in which the progress of each activities is defined on the structural design of the course, and then .LRN (or any other system for that matter) can't do much about it.

<blockquote> - With .LRN can I edit Learning Objects?
</blockquote>

Yes, if what you mean is to change existing files that are part of a learning object. In addition, you're able to modify metadata as well. Now, this is functionality that is beyond the scope of SCORM. And that's part of the LORs package functionality.

However, if you want to edit content online, as online editing HTML pages and creating content ala frontpage... well, no. There are waaay better creating tools for learning objects (content in general) out there... better use those.

<blockquote> - Is it possible download .LRN source code and modify it?
If so, where can I find it?
</blockquote>

Yes.

.LRN is available for free and will continue to be available for free in perpetuity under the GNU General Public License (GPL).

You can find the code and installing info at dotlrn.org.

Ernie