Forum .LRN Q&A: SCORM 1.2 support

Collapse
Posted by ondy ribondy on
Hi, do you know when SCORM 1.2 will be integrated in .LRN?

Thanx

carlo

Collapse
2: Re: SCORM 1.2 support (response to 1)
Posted by Ernie Ghiglione on
Carlo,

You can integrate SCORM into OpenACS using LORS. See this thread
(https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=81012). In terms of
SCORM runtime environment, Jack Ramsey from Intellium has been working
in adapting theirs to fit OpenACS 5.x. And as far as I'm aware we are
pretty close to do so.

Once Intellium's done, Jack and I will be merging LORs to Intellum's
package and that will be full SCORM 1.2 implementation -with great
benefits for the management of content and learning objects as well.

If you are really really on a hurry to implement SCORM, then you might
want to talk to Jack Ramsey as his package already delivers SCORM
courses. Or, option 2, you can have Adam Ullman's SCORM (see previous
thread) runtime environment and LORs working together. However, I will
suggest you to wait a bit longer as we release the full integrated
version of LORs and Intellums.

Ernie

Collapse
3: Re: SCORM 1.2 support (response to 1)
Posted by ondy ribondy on
I'm searching for a tool open source supporting SCORM 1.2 to make e-learning in our university LAN network.

I haven't installed .LRN yet. Before that I need to know some things:

- To permit the access to the player by many users (students) I've to install .LRN on any PC or only on the server?
In this case how the users could access to the lessons?

-The teacher has the total control of the leaning course and tracing of students activities?

- With .LRN can I edit Learning Objects?

- Is it possible download .LRN source code and modify it? If so, where can I find it?

thanx
Carlo

Collapse
4: Re: SCORM 1.2 support (response to 3)
Posted by Ernie Ghiglione on
<blockquote> I'm searching for a tool open source supporting SCORM 1.2
to make e-learning in our university LAN network.
</blockquote>

SCORM is a standard that encompases mainly three specification, that might (or not) be used all together. Those are: IMS Content Packaging, IMS Metadata and the AICC runtime environment (although SCORM adds some minimal extensions). As far as OpenACS goes, we have implemented the two first ones (IMS) and there are two SCORM runtime environments available: Intellum's -a javascript API- and Adam Ullman's -Java applet API).

So in short: yes, OpenACS supports SCORM 1.2. However, as I mentioned above, we are syncronizing Intellum's work with the implemention of IMS specifications I've done and shortly, we will have full support for SCORM 1.2

Are you looking into deliverying SCORM courses or just using it for packaging and tagging of learning objects?

<blockquote> - To permit the access to the player by many users
(students) I've to install .LRN on any PC or only on the
server? In this case how the users could access to the
lessons?
</blockquote>

To deliver courses online you won't need to install .LRN in each machine. The SCORM runtime environment (RTE) that is provided with the SCORM package allows students to take the course online -just using a browser. The RTE also tracks the progress of each student on a server (where .LRN resides).

<blockquote> -The teacher has the total control of the leaning course
and tracing of students activities?
</blockquote>

Quick answer: Yes. But you might find cases in which the progress of each activities is defined on the structural design of the course, and then .LRN (or any other system for that matter) can't do much about it.

<blockquote> - With .LRN can I edit Learning Objects?
</blockquote>

Yes, if what you mean is to change existing files that are part of a learning object. In addition, you're able to modify metadata as well. Now, this is functionality that is beyond the scope of SCORM. And that's part of the LORs package functionality.

However, if you want to edit content online, as online editing HTML pages and creating content ala frontpage... well, no. There are waaay better creating tools for learning objects (content in general) out there... better use those.

<blockquote> - Is it possible download .LRN source code and modify it?
If so, where can I find it?
</blockquote>

Yes.

.LRN is available for free and will continue to be available for free in perpetuity under the GNU General Public License (GPL).

You can find the code and installing info at dotlrn.org.

Ernie

Collapse
5: Re: SCORM 1.2 support (response to 1)
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Regarding content creation you have the choice of different products...as far as I know Microsoft, Macromedia and many others are working integrating their software with SCORM...how compliant these tools will be I cannot tell. This you will find out trying the import feature of Ernie's package.

We are also working on an open source course editor that creates a full scorm 1.2 compliant course. The editor is template based and you don't need html knowledge. After defining your course structure the course is generated together with the manifest file and you can upload the course.

Send me an email if you want to see a working example. The editor is written in Java and should run on any system.

The look and feel of a course is changed by changing the css files and the templates.

In future the editor will be integrated with dotLRN.

Greetings,
Nima

Collapse
6: Re: SCORM 1.2 support (response to 1)
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
for content creation I will recomend you use: http://www.reload.ac.uk/

(we'll use this at e-lane =)

Collapse
7: Re: SCORM 1.2 support (response to 1)
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
That's true..but you can only use reload for defining the meta-model not to create the content right? or did they add this feature? long time since I looked at it.
Collapse
8: Re: SCORM 1.2 support (response to 7)
Posted by Matthias Melcher on
Create content with reload? Perhaps not the html files, but let you drag and drop them into a lesson structure. I made this little test package http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~x28/reload/zip-datei.zip with the following simple procedure:

File > New > IMS 1.1.3 Content Package
File > Import Resources
Rightclick on Organizations > Add Organization
(dragging Lessons and Intros/Contents/Summaries and dropping them onto the blue Icons)

(see screenshot http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~x28/reload/reload-screenshot1.jpg )

and see how a primitive sequencer could look like by using their previewer:

View > Preview Content Page

(see screenshot http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~x28/reload/reload-screenshot2.jpg ).

Collapse
9: Re: SCORM 1.2 support (response to 1)
Posted by Konstantin Malyshev on
I'll recommend you to use LERSUS www.lersus.de to create SCORM compatible learning content.