Forum OpenACS Q&A: CVS Instructions

Collapse
Posted by Chris Crownhart on
I've seen some message discussing some CVS repository with openacs
code in it, but I cannot find any directions as to where that is or
how to access it.

Is there one?  If so, can I find the latest bug fixes for 3.2.4 modules?

Thanks,

Chris

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
OpenACS 3x is hosted at sourceforge.org, project name OpenACS.  The
right CVS tree is acs3-pg.

OpenACS 4x is being hosted on the openacs server.

Collapse
Posted by Krzysztof Kowalczyk on
Is 4.1 being hosted or will be? If is, could you provide the magic CVS commands (path and password for anon checkout), I couldn't find any information on openacs.org
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Due to historical reasons, OpenACS is hosted at Sourceforge as "acs-pg". To get to it, go to http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/acs-pg. There are instructions on how to get the latest CVS shapshot no sourceforge.
Collapse
Posted by Krzysztof Kowalczyk on
Roberto, I'm not sure if you're replaying to my post or the orignal one. I know how to get ACS from sourceforge. I was asking about (upcoming) 4.1 which Don has said is hosted on OpenACS.org. I was curious also because as far as I know 4.1 doesn't exists yet.

The fact that for the whole time OpenACS.org is up there was no information anywhere about how to get the code directly from CVS is another matter.

And for those who still wonder: to get 3.2.4 directly from CVS:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.acs-pg.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/acs-pg login
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.acs-pg.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/acs-pg co acs-pg
Collapse
Posted by Tim Butterfield on
The CVS web access seems to be up, though everything appears to have a 'root' author. Direct CVS access appears to still be restricted. I tried
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@openacs.org:/cvsroot/openacs-4 login
and received a "connection refused" message. Hopefully, it will be up soon, though until a working core is available, having CVS access is almost a moot point.
Collapse
Posted by Robert Ezman on
Krzysztof:

Need to correct you before anybody else makes the same mistake as I did.  Following the instructions for checking acs 3 from cvs verbatim.

You need to modify the second cvs instruction to:

cvs -d:pserver:mailto:anonymous@cvs.acs-pg.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/acs-pg co acs3-pg

Otherewise you get an older version of the OpenACS.

I was confused because I had looked at one specific file the other day (the one that I got from the normal distribution) and the cvs'd version didn't look anything like it.  Now that I've checked out the correct version it looks right.

You putting the commands here was pretty useful though.

Thanks.

Collapse
Posted by Andrei Popov on
Just a small question: why is release version (3.2.5) and CVS version of /www/install/* differ?  Specifically load-geo-tables?  The script still refers to sqlplus, not plsql...

Also, I was under impression that most of development is done on UN*X machines, why then are all of the files (from CVS) in DOS format?  Postgres is having problems loading CRLF terminated scripts...  Am I doing something wrong?

Collapse
Actually, I'll take it back: not only /www/install baut lots of other places (/www/doc/sql comes to mind) from CVS are nowhere near what is in 3.2.5. I am checking a snapshot out as
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.acs-pg.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/acs-pg co acs3-pg
, is this a correct module/repository?
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Andrei,

Your CVS command is correct, but I don't see any of the things you're mentioning. The files in www/install haven't changed in the last 15 months, so I am positive they are the same as those in the 3.2.5 release. Also, the vast majority of the development is done on UNIX. I'm not seeing files with DOS end of lines. Which ones are you talking about?

Are you checking out into a fresh directory? Maybe your CVS is getting confused by an existing CVS directory.

Collapse
Roberto,

Sorry for the mess: I was not doing a check out directly, had a cron script do it for me off a box on the open 'Net (am behind a firewall myself).  Apparently I've made an error and gzip/mailed wrong hierarchy (the acs-pg not acs3-pg one).

Sorry again, now it all seems to fit properly...