Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Building a sales tracking/CRM system from the ecommerce module

Hi David,

very good point, thanks. I have to admit that we still still working on it, and that it isn't 100% clear to us how we should license the stuff. So we didn't include the license in the package itself in order to be able to change them... We are currently working on new web site, and we'll include license terms in all package descriptions.

However to summarize it, all of the above mentioned packages are free for the end customer to use and modify (GPL or PL).

What the PL restricts is "decentral redistribution" in order to make sure nobody else is making money with it, except the developers. But _you_ can become a developer by extending/modifying the code and contributing it to Project/Open ("centralized redistribution"). Your revenues are calculated according to how much of the module is "yours" and depending on the weight of your module compared to other modules.

Heck, I think this is still too complicated, isn't it? I'll try to introduce some more explanations and diagrams in the license section of the new web site at  http://www.projop.com/license/ (check this afternoon, after 15:00 CEST).

But isn't it funny that the announced CRM package was never written and that it now appears under such a strange license? I'm still trying to figure out how "boring ERP software" and open-source are going together... For me it's ok to work for free on "sexy" software, but I want to get paid if I'm doing boring stuff like accounting or CRM. And you've got no idea _how_ boring that can be...

Bests,
Frank