Forum OpenACS Q&A: Ordering and moving images in Photo Album

I've just uploaded a bunch of images from our Heidelberg meeting in my new photo album and find that they appear rather randomly displayed.  http://dotlrn.jfk.fu-berlin.de/photos/photo-album/  They were numbered consecutively, and I liked that because when viewed in the order in which they were taken you get an idea of how the conference progressed, i.e., we all worked before we played and then went back to work and then played again: the rhythms, I think, are important.  But this order has been lost, the numbered filenames were not respected as an intentional order.  Might there we a way to fix that, and while we are at it, move these images around?  I'm asking here first before writing up a bug ticket so I might be pointed to the obvious, or so some thinking might be done here first.  Thanks!  Bruce
Collapse
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
Bruce,

I checked CVS to make sure my changes have made it into the OpenACS version. (2003-12-12 Merged by Rocael. Thanks.)

You can to change the numbers of the photos in the 'Edit Photos' page (/photos-edit). The initial numbers are the object IDs assigned when uploading the photos. You can change them to order photos more sensibly. I like to use increments of 10 so that I can easily make changes later.

After comitting your changes to the DB your photos will be displayed in the new order. Re-visiting photos-edit will also reflect the new order. A convenient way to make incremental changes.

/Bart

Collapse
Posted by Bruce Spear on
Thanks for the tip, there is hope!  (There is always hope!)  But I'm not sure I see what you are talking about.  When I go to the photos-edit page, I see the filename in the Title row, and changing that has no effect on the sort order.  Am I looking in the wrong place?
Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Hi Bruce,

Hopefully you figured it out by now... I just did after stumbling around for a bit, because one cannot change the sequence number from choosing a photo to edit (photos-edit). Instead..

Go to an album and view a page of thumbnail images (usually about 12 thumbnails per page).

Click on the "Edit these photos" link. This bulk view of photos-edit shows the sequence (order_n) referred to above.

cheers,

Torben