Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: cvs package collection

Collapse
3: Re: cvs package collection (response to 1)
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
Having had a close look at the possibility of customising .LRN to make an intranet just recently I came to the conclusion that this was not a good idea.

The customisations are somewhat impenetrable to say the least and I was left thinking that it would be quicker and easier to customise a blank acs5 than to wrestle with .LRN

There are of course analogous groups and structures in .LRN which could simply be renamed to cover employee groups and company departmental structures, but I couldn't think of a tidy analogy for semesters or curricula. (Semesters could perhaps at a stretch be business cycles or financial years but this is a poor fit because every business period is different whereas a course programme is repeated each period for a differnt group of people).

I also came to the conclusion that whilst the portals functionality in .LRN is nice, it is not strictly necessary and that in our case we could do without it. Having said that, I notice that the portals module is available as an installable package for acs5, I just haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

The final point that swayed my thinking was that .LRN appears to be HUGE, and even an empty install takes a long time to bootstrap - which left me thinking that there was probably a lot going on under the bonnet (hood) that was surplus to requirements in a .WRK type application.

I think that the acs is developing so well that very soon it will be virtually a .WRK anyway out of the box!

I don't know whether this accords with the thoughts of others?

Oh, by the way, Jade's Project Manager is a work of art.

Regards
Richard