Forum OpenACS Q&A: Volunteer job: .LRN and OpenACS.org demo site admins

If you are an OpenACS user who is not currently active in the community but would like to be, please consider a few ways you could contribute:

.LRN Demo Site Admin. Collaboraid maintains a .LRN demonstration site. Or rather, we try to maintain - between hardware and software problems and lack of time, .LRN has not had an attractive demonstration site that shows it off to full effect. We've set up new hardware and can throw up a new site very quickly, but would like to get someone to be a site admin. Duties:

• Sets up demo data and users on a new .LRN demonstration site
  • Performs upgrades as appropriate and with support from Collaboraid.
  • Monitors the site for problems, including downtime, deletion of demo data, inappropriate content, etc.
  • Handles email questions for the site

OpenACS Demo Site Admin. Collaboraid maintains an OpenACS demonstration site. Or rather, we try to maintain - between hardware and software problems and lack of time, .LRN has not had an attractive demonstration site that shows it off to full effect. We've set up new hardware and can throw up a new site very quickly, but would like to get someone to be a site admin. Duties:

• Installs, configures, and populates all working packages on a new OpenACS 5.1 demonstration site
  • Performs upgrades as appropriate and with support from Collaboraid.
  • Monitors the site for problems, including downtime, deletion of demo data, inappropriate content, etc.
  • Handles email questions for the site
Joel,
I would like to take care of this, and not just me, my whole team as well. This is really important for our internal project perspective (e-lane, etc.).

Also, we have resources to set up that instances in our servers as well (Galileo). So we might share the load ... =), lets say have .LRN here and the oacs at collaboraid or the other way around.

Pls inform me what's the next step ....

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Rocael, I've given you an admin account at http://test.openacs.org:8005, which you can use to hand out more such accounts.  This isn't an auto-rebuild server, so we can build persistent content, and also we don't want to hand out admin accounts randomly.  I also gave you an account on test.openacs.org so that you can edit the home page of that site.

Some starting points could be:

Creating some sample students and profs and building auto-login links on the home page of test.openacs.org (you can see the examples already on that page)
Creating different classes with different default languages (not sure if you can set default language for a class, but each sample user could have a different language preference)

ok, we'll go for this. Then we need to talk more about upgrading this servers and make them look better ... =)