Forum OpenACS Q&A: What modifications does mail need for a dynamic ip address?

I have a dynamically assigned ip address, so I use dyndns.org to change addresses for my acs server. Mail is sent to any yahoo address fine. Mail sent to aol fails. I am not running a dns server on my acs box. What do I need to do to correct this problem?
Here's my error message:
Mail Delivery Subsystem
| Block Address | Add to Address Book
To: gmt3rd@yahoo.com
Subject: Returned mail: Service unavailable

The original message was received at Sat, 17 Mar 2001 11:48:57 -0500 from IDENT:nsadmin@localhost [127.0.0.1]
----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- gmt3rd@aol.com
----- Transcript of session follows -----

... while talking to mailin-04.mx.aol.com.: <<< 550-AOL no longer accepts connections from dynamically assigned <<< 550-IP addresses to our relay servers. Please contact your ISP <<< 550 to have your mail redirected through your ISP's SMTP servers. ... while talking to mailin-02.mx.aol.com.: >>> QUIT

Attachment: Message/delivery-status Reporting-MTA: dns; testdsl.homeip.net Received-From-MTA: DNS; localhost Arrival-Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 11:48:57 -0500 Final-Recipient: RFC822; gmt3rd@aol.com Action: failed Status: 5.5.0 Remote-MTA: DNS; mailin-01.mx.aol.com Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550-AOL no longer accepts connections from dynamically assigned Last-Attempt-Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 11:48:57 -0500

anybody have any ideas?

Try setting up your mail delivery agent so it drops all outgoing mail
on your ISP's SMTP server for relaying.

I don't know how to do that with sendmail or qmail but it should be
pretty straightforward. You could probably do it by setting up a proxy
on your machine port 25 which connects to smtp.yourisp.com

If you are not receiving mail on your machine I would suggest not even using sendmail or qmail at all.  If you are using ns_sendmail to send mail from AOLServer, you can set the SMTP server you want to send from by specifying MailHost in your nsd.tcl file under "ns/parameters" (I believe even if you are running sendmail or qmail).

Many email relays, such as AOL's, do not accept mail sent from dynamic IPs, even if they do have a domain assigned by dyndns.org.  They do this to reduce spam abuse, I suppose.