Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to installation problem

Collapse
Posted by finn knudsen on
Hi

Had some time in the weekend and got openacs working. Great ! Thank everyone for your time.

Anyway michael I have installed on redhat 7.0 as you. Are you using the grafical interface in the installation process ?.

Anyway you should do a custom install where you can select individual packages. If you have a large hardisk I would suggest you take all the development libraries and system libraries. You need C compilers as well as the make and patch packages.

Next don't select the apache server or postgresql. You just want too download the big file from openacs.org and untar it in /tmp.
Now try and run /tmp/install.sh ( by typing like that ).

Now you will probably get errors like :

rpm postgres needs libreadline.so.3 and libncurses.so.4.

The problem is ( I think ) that redhat 7.0 have upgraded these libraries. You need to download the relevant libraries from somewhere. I will get the exact address but you could go to altavista and search for readline2_2_1-2_2_1-2_i386 and ncurses-4_2-8_i386.

For readline you should be able to to rpm -i readline2_2_1-2_2_1-2_i386.rpm when you have copied it to the tmp directory.

For ncurses you will probably get an error because a newer package exists so you should ad rpm -i --force ncurses-4_2-8_i386.rpm
You might also want to edit the install.sh file and add --force to the lines where the postgresql relevant rpm's are installed. I will check to see if this is actually necesary.

Anyway, I succeded in getting things up and running, so send a line if you have any problems and we could write a newbie installation guide for others to use.

regards

Finn