Collapse
Posted by Michael Sieben on
hello to all!

i have tried the archive of apache-openacs. i tried it on a new(!) red
hat 7.0, but from start on i got a lot of problems... the shell told
me that there were depending files/packages missing...  and finally
lynx could not find the server...

questions:

i) were can i find the installation log.file? (is there one...???)

ii) which special files packages i have to install, while installing
redhat(i tried both workstation and server setting)?
thanx in advance

sorry, but i am a total novice!

micha

Collapse
Posted by finn knudsen on
Hi Michael

I have had similar problems. I haven't gotten everything working yet but mayby i have some things that can help you out.

When installing redhat 7.0 ( personally i used 7.2) you should probably make a custom installation. The reason for this is ( I would think ).

You will need some development liberaries i.e. gcc + and so on, because the installation package will compile some c code. I'm havent looked into which ones are the most important, so better take a lot.

Second you don't want to install the postgres database and apache webserver. However, I'm not sure about the postgres database because i had problems with the one comming in the openacs package.

Installing on 7.2 there was also problems with different versions of readline and tcl. Some of these problems could be solved by using --nodeps option for rpm. ( check out the red hat home page about rpm, its not that difficult to get a grasp of ).

Anyway, I have gotten so far as to get the webserver up an running, although I get a security blowup error that has been discussed here earlier. Might be some things with the configuration of the mod_aolserver module, although I haven't looked at it for the last couple of days. I will be able to help you so far, but I haven't got a working system my self yet.

Anyway, I hope this can help you a little bit. If you would consider upgrading to red hat 7.2 we might be able to build a step by step quide for installation purposes. You are welcome to contact  me by email, and we can try to help each other out.

regards

Collapse
Hi

Had some time in the weekend and got openacs working. Great ! Thank everyone for your time.

Anyway michael I have installed on redhat 7.0 as you. Are you using the grafical interface in the installation process ?.

Anyway you should do a custom install where you can select individual packages. If you have a large hardisk I would suggest you take all the development libraries and system libraries. You need C compilers as well as the make and patch packages.

Next don't select the apache server or postgresql. You just want too download the big file from openacs.org and untar it in /tmp.
Now try and run /tmp/install.sh ( by typing like that ).

Now you will probably get errors like :

rpm postgres needs libreadline.so.3 and libncurses.so.4.

The problem is ( I think ) that redhat 7.0 have upgraded these libraries. You need to download the relevant libraries from somewhere. I will get the exact address but you could go to altavista and search for readline2_2_1-2_2_1-2_i386 and ncurses-4_2-8_i386.

For readline you should be able to to rpm -i readline2_2_1-2_2_1-2_i386.rpm when you have copied it to the tmp directory.

For ncurses you will probably get an error because a newer package exists so you should ad rpm -i --force ncurses-4_2-8_i386.rpm
You might also want to edit the install.sh file and add --force to the lines where the postgresql relevant rpm's are installed. I will check to see if this is actually necesary.

Anyway, I succeded in getting things up and running, so send a line if you have any problems and we could write a newbie installation guide for others to use.

regards

Finn

Collapse
update .01

okay, after i installed the rpms finn sugested and aditionally two other rpms

a) tcl-8.0.5-30.i386.rpm

b) postgresql-tcl-7.0.3-2.i386.rpm

the installation process went much smoother and
i got postgress running

xxxxx
postgresql                  ##################################################

postgresql-server          ##################################################

postgresql-tcl              ##################################################

postgresql-devel            ##################################################

Checking postgresql installation: [  OK  ]
xxxxxxx

then

mm ##################################################

tcl ##################################################

and finally

apache                      ##################################################

openacs                    ##################################################

okay then i thought

THATS great.... but then i tried lynx http://myserver:8000

and i got a 404 warning...
what am i doing wrong...?

yours

michael

2nd question is it due 2 my old machine p100/64M/30G that it took me 27 minutes to run ./install.sh?

Collapse
sorry for some format problems...
Collapse
Hi Michael

Great to hear that things are going better. Unfortunately you will now have to troubleshoot your system, and that may somewhat harder.

First it would seem the apache server is up and running since you get a 404 error. Are you familiar with the Apache server ? You want to find the file /etc/opt/apache and check out what it says in here. Expect to spend a little time finding out how it works. Try change the port number from :8000 to 80 etc. Check the server name. Try and put a regular html page into you web directory and try and see if the apache server will serve you this.

Other things that could be wrong :
Are postgresql running. You need to start it by doing /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start.

I think you are pretty close to getting things up and running now. If you find out what your problem was you can ad the items to the draft of an installation guide I sent you.

Regards

Finn

Collapse
hi finn!
i finally got the thing running....
after manually restarting apache & the db..

but then came new problems...

more later on...

michael