Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Using web logs for learning

Collapse
Posted by Bruce Spear on
I would be VERY curious to have the links to the studies being referred to here, such as the Gilroy article.
I should say that my understanding is not from a survey of how forums and blogs are being used, but from an analysis of how they might be used effectively based on pre-web studies in the teaching of writing at the university level.
For example, the behavioralist studies show increases in learning due to the reinforcements of group work and informal conversations to the point that, when it comes to writing, there is some empirical evidence showing that students write LESS well after attending a series of lectures, a bit better when spending the same amount of time doing fill-in-the-blank exercises, and a whole lot better having spent their time drinking coffee with their pals and talking about it.
Studies in the cognitive psychology tradition focus on how differently stories can be told and learned from in the company of others and where the learning problem is to move students from compulsive/authoritarian to more relativist psychologies and worldviews.
Hence, I would explore forum use as it might be integrated into successful and pedagogically-sound learning activities.
I also like the forum because I am in Germanay.  More than all other portlets, the forum most closely resembles the academic seminar: the sanctum sanctorium of academic freedom and learning, the neo-humanist pearl in the middle of absolutism.
In addition, many here see e-learning in terms I characterize as "reserve desk, typewriters, and toilet paper", meaning as a solution to the Bologna Agreement and the B.A. whereby we can dispose of student claims to university access on the cheap, substituting capital for labor, and then get rid of them.
In this context, the seminar is the royal road to the professorial unconscious, and I am shooting for the high ground: I want them to learn how to use it for their best students, and precisely as understand Carl Robert Blesius has doctors contributing to forums on dermatology: because forums can contribute to the formation of strong peer groups chracterized by diversity of opinion, high disciplinary standards, and the love and rewards of a good conversation.
Collapse
Posted by Bill Ives on
response to Bruce Spear - I learned of Kathleen Gilroy's work through a response to a posting on my own blog - http://billives.typepad.com/portals_and_km/2004/05/since_the_begin.html I would have pasted it into this forum the first time but have not figurerd out how to embed a link into this forum yet. Hope this pasted URL works.  Kathleen is the CEO at www.ottergroup.com.
Collapse
Posted by Bill Ives on
I would be interested in the study that found students learned more from talking to each other that lectures. It parallels a U.S. study that found that a vast majority of employees felt they gained most of their work-related knowledge by chance from informal conversations, mostly stories, and not from procedure manuals or formal training (Wensley, 1998).  The complete reference and related discussion in a posting in my blog - http://billives.typepad.com/portals_and_km/2004/05/stories_and_org.html  Thanks for mentioning this. I was trained as a cognitive psychologist and looked at how media influence thinking.  However, I still am interested in what the behaviorist might say.
Collapse
Posted by Kathleen Gilroy on
Andrew Grumet let me know that this discussion was underway.  As I commented in Bill Ive's blog, we have had some success using weblogs in lieu of forum discussions tools in our elearning programs.  Our response and participation rates are way up, which I attribute to the public nature of blogs.  When our students post, they know that they will be visible to an important community of peers (and their bosses and professors).  This visibility factor substantially increases their motivation to post.  I am not alone in finding this:  in my own blog, I write about a professor at the University of Maryland who has also had a big jump in participation rates:  http://otterlearn.typepad.com/blogkathleen/2004/02/matthew_kirsche.html

Kirschenbaum, who started blogging a year ago, now uses blogs for his classes, which include ENGL467: "The Computer and the Text: Hypermedia as Critical Expression."

"Three weeks into the semester, there are 125 student comments on my class blog," he said. "There's much less discussion on a course e-mail list than on a blog."

In addition to his class blogs, he also maintains a personal blog, which focuses primarily on his research and teachings.

"It opens up other aspects of what I do to my students," Kirschenbaum said. "I have found that it's not just about what I wrote, but about what people said back."

I corresponded with Matt Kirschenbaum about why he thinks there has been so much more discussion on his weblog and not on the bulletin boards. Here's what he said:

Hi Kathleen,

Couple of reasons I think: one, like all the rest of us, my students now get a lot more email than they used to. Course-related mail gets mixed in with the usual jumble of spam and whatever else. All too easy just to hit the delete key. Two, the blog allows them to see their ideas instantly published on the Web. Email is a closed world, a self-contained loop between the instructor and the other students. With the blog, the fourth wall is always open. Best, Matt