Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): TIP #62: (Implemented) Integrating the community of practice code with the toolkit

Currently there are 4 components of the cop-base package:
  • ratings
  • clipboards
  • views
  • related-items

I would like to refactor these into seperate packages (named ratings, clipboards, views, and related) and start adding support for these directly into a number of packages (forums, bookshelf, faq, lars-blogger, file storage, calendar, photo-album and bug-tracker initially). I would also like to add support for categorization functionality to those packages which don't already support it (lars blogger is the only one so far that does). It's not necessary that the code go into core but I would add a dependencies on them for the packages which use them.

The refactored packages would all be singleton services with no user pages, with most of the user visible functionality derived from the API.

This would be carried out on HEAD with the intent of having this be the version of those packages shipped when 5.2 is released.

The current data model and API would not change appreciably from what's there now beyond cleaning up the prefixes and namespaces (unless of course someone sees flaws that they think need to be corrected).

Yay! Approved.