Forum OpenACS Q&A: Object Relational database...

Collapse
Posted by Mike Wu on
Hi, I am currently undertaking a thesis research relating the study of object relational database as well as developing an user-aid software for creating database in a package in OpenACS.

UmloadSQL(my program) will perform PSQL/Oracle code generation. The system will interpret UML diagram from the modelling tool, Argouml, to SQL scriplet that either create objects or tables.

However, I was wondering whether anyone have information or seen a similar product in the market?
<< ie. creating object relational database for any operating system>>

Or any operating systems that is like OACS supports similar database method?

Thanx in advance,

Mike

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Werner on
not exactly - but related: http://www.xdobry.de/
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Related to your work would be C.J. Date's "Third Manifesto".

-Roberto

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Werner on
or 'what not how' :)
Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
The question, for those who had parsing the original post, seems to be, "Are there products that transform UML into SQL DDL statements?"

Microsoft Visio certainly does.

Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
The question, for those who had trouble parsing the original post, seems to be, "Are there products that transform UML into SQL DDL statements?"

Microsoft Visio certainly does.

Collapse
Posted by Mike Wu on
Hi,

I knew Microsoft Visio is another product that do offer UML to DDl. And am studying on the functionality of it...

But I was wondering whether there are any software out there, that could generate codes similar to the data model similar to SQL files in the Notes package of OACS?

Once again,
Thank you all for being so helpful!!

Mike Wu

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Hi

Michael has produced a interesting piece of code. We will release it soon and another student will be taking it to a more functional state.

At this point the tool allows you to draw a UML code and it will generate the openacs data model.
Normally when I create a package I copy notes and start changing it. This is terribly inneficient.
This new tool allows you to bootstrap your code.
You can even chose if a class should be a acs_objet_type or just a table.

The question that Michael is trying to ask is:
"Do you know of any other application framework that implements an object model on top of a relational database?"

You can have object relational databases, object oriented databases, etc. But is there another system that implements things like "acs_object_type" and the object management code as we have?
We know that advantages of using acs objects include that you get the permission, the templating, notifications, ect for free. What other application frameworks do this?

cheers

Rafael